Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home brewing

Village Idiot
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    2232 times
    I have another Citra in the fermenter now at 5 days in. Looking very tasty & the aroma off the air lock is awesome.Pics soon.
    WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK!!!!! _Step Brothers

OG.Master.sToNeR
    Status
    Liked
    71 times
    Meg, this is cool as hell! ..... and "hey", I've been gone from this forum for so long that I actually remember you fondly (as opposed to: I remember fondling you ....*awkward*)

Before becoming addicted to pain killers I loved my home brew hobby. As we know addiction robs the addict of many things (and those that love the addict.. and hell society in general loses something every time another addict is created). Because alcohol stepped on my opiate euphoria, my interests in brewing kind of just wilted and died, like a plant starved of light and nutrients. But a long ass time ago, I was a pretty good intermediate level home brewer.

I had a recipe (modified from recipes I found in the Homebrewers Bible) for an Irish Stout Oatmeal Wheat! It was a hell of a beer ... or excuse me, I mean it was a hell of an Ale (total top fermentor here). It was a thick and delicous monster. And talk about good head; this baby had the head of beast. I always bottled in 22 oz bottles so I would be less likely to drink my brew by myself.

Another beverage I enjoyed brewing were honey meads. Dead easy and deadly strong. 5 pounds of honey (so much fun exploring the local country side looking for locally produced honeys) in 5 gallons of water (actually i cannot remember the ratio of honey to water in the wort). 3 to 5 pounds of berries typically went in as well.

A friend had 3 mullberry trees in his yard and we would havest the trees and use the collected berries to create our meads.

We had to use Champagne yeast because the alcohol levels would get so high during the fermentation that lesser yeast strains would die off way too early. using potassium sorbate (I think, once again my memory is fuzzy), one could stop the fermentation at any point for any desired alcohol level, or prefered level or sweetness. If I let the fermentation run its full course, I would have a hell of a strong drink; somewhere around 20% alc by volume. This mead was very dry and had a sharp sharp sharp alcohol burn to it. Squeezing the juice of an orange slice into it helped take some of the burn away.

But what made my mullberry honey meads magical was using the potassium sorbate to stop fermentation. If I was able to stop at the right time, I would have an assume drink that stongly resemble a sweet and fruity red or burgandy wine.

Good stuff Meg!!!

If I ever decide to start drinking alcohol again (never had a problem with it, just got bored of it) I definitely will start brewing again. And all thanks to your thread!
    And it's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there,
    Believe it if you need it, or leave it if you dare.

And it's just a box of rain, or a ribbon for your hair;
    Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    Belize
    Liked
    12822 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azure_cloud View Post
    Meg, this is cool as hell! ..... and "hey", I've been gone from this forum for so long that I actually remember you fondly (as opposed to: I remember fondling you ....*awkward*)

Before becoming addicted to pain killers I loved my home brew hobby. As we know addiction robs the addict of many things (and those that love the addict.. and hell society in general loses something every time another addict is created). Because alcohol stepped on my opiate euphoria, my interests in brewing kind of just wilted and died, like a plant starved of light and nutrients. But a long ass time ago, I was a pretty good intermediate level home brewer.

I had a recipe (modified from recipes I found in the Homebrewers Bible) for an Irish Stout Oatmeal Wheat! It was a hell of a beer ... or excuse me, I mean it was a hell of an Ale (total top fermentor here). It was a thick and delicous monster. And talk about good head; this baby had the head of beast. I always bottled in 22 oz bottles so I would be less likely to drink my brew by myself.

Another beverage I enjoyed brewing were honey meads. Dead easy and deadly strong. 5 pounds of honey (so much fun exploring the local country side looking for locally produced honeys) in 5 gallons of water (actually i cannot remember the ratio of honey to water in the wort). 3 to 5 pounds of berries typically went in as well.

A friend had 3 mullberry trees in his yard and we would havest the trees and use the collected berries to create our meads.

We had to use Champagne yeast because the alcohol levels would get so high during the fermentation that lesser yeast strains would die off way too early. using potassium sorbate (I think, once again my memory is fuzzy), one could stop the fermentation at any point for any desired alcohol level, or prefered level or sweetness. If I let the fermentation run its full course, I would have a hell of a strong drink; somewhere around 20% alc by volume. This mead was very dry and had a sharp sharp sharp alcohol burn to it. Squeezing the juice of an orange slice into it helped take some of the burn away.

But what made my mullberry honey meads magical was using the potassium sorbate to stop fermentation. If I was able to stop at the right time, I would have an assume drink that stongly resemble a sweet and fruity red or burgandy wine.

Good stuff Meg!!!

If I ever decide to start drinking alcohol again (never had a problem with it, just got bored of it) I definitely will start brewing again. And all thanks to your thread!
    azure_cloud,

When doing the Mead use Gooseberries to give the mead an added taste.
    Amazing stuff with the berries, I used to use the left over gooseberries for jam.

Peace,

DSF.

Village Idiot
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    2232 times
    Great to see ya azure been a spell for sure & nothing but positive vibes on my end of you my friend. So glad to see ya around the boards making yourself at home at the new place.
    I have thought about some mead but so mystified by the hop I am gonna be on Pale's & IPA's for a while yet LOL.
    I did pull a sample today on day 2-3 of secondary and in main for 6-7 days,SCIENCE,LOL. I am gonna bottle this beauty after my sleep study tonight. In the end I came out with a nice 6.7 % abv when the recipe says 5.5%. i like em a lil stronger lol.

Looking forward to seeing more brews to come & hopefully some from you azure glad to see ya.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Village Idiot
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    2232 times
    couldnt wait I do the same thing when I grow. Shut up you do it to lol. Heres a pic its a great pale.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    52 times
    I'd love to pick up home brewing but only have the attention span for one hobby at a time. My planted aquaria are already suffering due to the grow. If it wasn't for using fish water for the plants they probably wouldn't even get water changes.

Village Idiot
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    2232 times
    I am gonna get back into brewing full-time as of this batch. Just too costly not to brew since I cant do a indoor grow here. I will share all picks & steps along the way & do a breakdown on the finished product.
    I hope this gets some beer drinkers to start brewing. Like growing it puts you on a special level with your finished efforts. Plus its fun for the most part. I am in touch with a buddy I hadnt seen in years & this guy has everything I want,LOL, So Jealous! I will try to post a all grain brew at his place. For Now Its Extract Brewing,ENJOY
    The Kit

the 2yr old dirty bottles

The Steeping grains

Adding malt extract & hops for 60min. boil

The boil converting sugars to starch for the yeast to eat.

After cooling the wort(wert) & pitching the yeast as the starch settles to the bottom.

Then the yeast starts to eat & get things moving.

Then 24 hours after the yeast has been churning & then 48hrs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12