Terms
Advertise   Support WW    Contact   
    Solid.

Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    2032 times
    How many of you use local amendment in your soil? I'm yet to do this but I have planned for my next go round to use Glacial Silt. The Matanuska-Susitna Valley is the original home of the infamous "Thunder Fuck". It's also home to some of the most amazingly large vegetables ever grown in one of the shortest growing seasons. This is due in part to the aforementioned silt, as well as the ridiculous amount of daylight during the summer time. I intend to mix this silt into my growing medium the next time around and see if it has any noticeable effects. It's very fine and very dense, I imagine it will have to be well mixed with the soil before planting. I would welcome any input on sterilizing the stuff as well. I do suppose it could be oven baked but that strikes me as a pain in the ass. . .

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Liked
    331 times
    May work better in a tea. Id assume the advantage to using would be the micros. I live here in alaska to, so i know how dense the silt is. If you do mix with your soil, make sure there's plenty of drainage, that silt setlles, youll have alot of problems. Maybe try a handful of worm castings, and a handful of silt in a sock and tie. Throw that in a 2 gallon bucket from home depot with a lid. Add as much air as possible, 2 6" airstones and dual whisper air pump from walmarts are perfect. Fill the bucket about 3/4, add 3 tblspns molasses, and beneficial bacteria, (roots organism xl, great white, caps). Brew for 24hrs. Definatly use beneficial bacteria. Roots works well, i used to use it, but i use caps 3 part, hard to get though. Add 1-2 cups per 10 gallons of nutes once a week. Towards the end of flowering add 1/4 cup of bat guano to your sock. Youll have exploding roots from this tea, and nutrient uptake will dramatically improve. You can use til flush.
    [Mary has just taken her first hit] Goodbye Mary Sunshine! Reefer has blown out her mind! She's now a hot-head hussy! (Reefer Madness)

Is it 420 Yet?
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3984 times
    I use the ashes from my outdoor wood stove(Hardy), back to your silt sounds like you need a bunch of perlite to mix with that fine dense silt. Worm castings would also help a bunch, but the perlite will add the porosity that silt needs. Take care and I hope all is well with you and yours
    Years ago while white water rafting the snake river in wyoming I saw an Osprey catch a trout out of the river and while climbing with the fish another Osprey slammed into the guy with the fish and this happened back and forth about 8 or 9 times. Can't tell you who ended up with the fish but it was a sight to see, the fish would free fall 20 feet and they would swoop down and get it climb and get knocked by the other 1 and all over again. Was 35 years ago but I'll never forget it

mal
    Last edited by mal; 05-04-2012 at 01:39 AM.

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    12 times
    Hey ......I buy my stuff here locally to me. They make a local mix that is exactly pro mix bx with Mychorrazea......you can have the mix they make or add anything you want to it there and they will mix it and load it. I usually but 2 cu yards....about 5000lbs of soilless mix.... I use it in my boxes for the vegetables etc and the for the "other" garden. I but the stock mix which is made like I said to exactly promix bx w mych specs......I take my dump trailer up there and have them load it on ithat, then I come home and bag it up for my indoor use and divide it up for the outdoor stuff....it is like 60.00 for a cubic yard.
    I then do my KISS method on all gardens top feeding and my outdoor boxes have drip irrigation of r normal watering but I always feed by hand.
    Respects,
    W1

Solid.

Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    2032 times
    Interesting. I can tell you, I wouldn't know what to do with 5000lbs of any dirt. I would have to just grow a couple thousand potatoes.
    Anything you want, anything at all, come to me. I'll be your guardian angel. . . - Juno Reactor

Jetwaterpipes.com

pyptek.com

My Grow

frequent inhaler
    Status
    Liked
    1658 times
    Quote Originally Posted by osprey View Post
    Interesting. I can tell you, I wouldn't know what to do with 5000lbs of any dirt. I would have to just grow a couple thousand potatoes.
    but with wicked1 being not from earth(nice choice on that location btw o W1) soil/dirt probably needs to be imported

Village Idiot
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    2232 times
    Lots of worm castings & gopher & mole mounds in my local mountains & a lil dear shit if ya can find it.
    WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK!!!!! _Step Brothers

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by b_pharma_free View Post
    but with wicked1 being not from earth(nice choice on that location btw o W1) soil/dirt probably needs to be imported

Well I have above ground boxes that I use for vegetable gardens...with the boxes being raised it is easy to keep things out.....I built an infrastructure over it with this black plastic netting to keep as any bugs and birds out....they take alot of soil mix to fill them up...and then like I said, I fill big trash bags for my indoor grows and store it in the bags in one of my sheds until I need it.....no bugs in the soilless.....
    Yes Osprey....LOL....not only is my planets atmosphere degrading from thousands of years of Nuclear War and uncontrolled pollution but is also on a highly elliptical orbit that passes to the far side of the Sun, we not only need your gold to repair our atmosphere but also your soilless mix so we may enjoy the marijuana that we originally gifted to you. I have to get a lot at once because it takes us 3600 yrs to pass your planet again.
    Hope this helps.
    Respects,
    W1
    Last edited by Wicked1; 07-21-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Status
    Liked
    17 times
    Many soil mixes available are packed full of organic raw ingredients. Gardeners mostly used aerated soil mix that has a balanced pH and a variety of microbes. You can add plenty of compost, worm castings, organic soil, and spag peat moss. Use what is locally available.