CannaManiac / Tester
    Status
    Country
    Poland
    Liked
    2314 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs_rare_dankness View Post
    question #2....

You receive a 10 or 12 pack of beans. You pop only 3 beans. you get 2males/1female.

Do you give up? Or pop the rest?

And what is the average # of beans of 1 strain that you pop to find your keeper?
    i guess it all depends on the skill level & genetics... like Dub said, its a lotto. the better the breeder, the better your chances at getting a keeper... if your gonna pop a 10 pack of some GreenHouse seeds bullshit, then its more likely youll have to pop waaaay more beans to find a keeper rather if you popped 2 or 3 beans of say some Rare Dankness? hehe, seriously tho- i popped 3 Ghost Train Haze #1`s, got 2 females and a male. those 2 females are looking to be some serious stuff... i will DEF have a keeper from those 2. wish i could say i had ANY keepers from GreenHouse bullshit.

wait.... no i dont... haha
    (((theduns)))
    CURRENTLY TESTING= Illuminati Seeds "Tootsie Roll", Illuminati Seeds "Wife Beater", Motarebel's Orange Diesel x LBL, Sub Rosa Gardens "Reptilian OG", Loompas "Moondawg" F2, MOIO's CrazyHaze x Banana Bubba OG & CrazyHaze x Trinity OG

Is it 420 Yet?
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    2606 times
    im not a breeder but we all know the game TRADE implies equal exchange
    but if the trade implied restrictions like you say (no clones ) than im pretty sure the breeding would be seen by the gifter as not right thats why its best to be sure and up front about the deal

ask yourself if you gave prime breeding stock would you care or want the recipeant to make cash off of your work ?

and we are all aware of this game the MM community if given we know seed/clones can and most likely will be use in this manner

I think the folly is to try and own nature so in essence we can not make strains we discover them ( through a lot of work and trial and err ) so to say this is my strain just seems unethical ( not trying to piss in anyones coolaid )

you cant really own land or nature she does what she wants

just sayin IMHO

peace and understanding
    freegrow
    MY HONOR IS MY LIFE

“The most tragic thing in the world is a man of genius who is not a man of honor.”

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    388 times
    Don't give up! You could be missing out on an amazing strain/pheno if you do. You at least need to give the strain a few chances from different seed.
    IMO, If you have space,time and are dying to have the specific strain, pop the rest, take clones and open pollinate.

Before deciding its a keeper I really need to run the plant at least twice and defiantly at least once from a clone. I don't like judging plants that come directly from seed.

I agree with HomeLess: "First run all females are keepers then I thin them down as yield and smoke determines."

I assume 1 keeper(or more) out of a 10/12 pack, sometimes that is not the case. I have high standards for keepers. (I Probably average 1 keeper per 25seeds (around 50%females, so 1/12 females is a keeper) [and yeah, we're talking 'good' breeders only, not greenhouse or barneys,nirvana etc...]
    Roll me up and smoke me when I die

way up, way in, way out
    Status
    Liked
    1285 times
    question #2....

You receive a 10 or 12 pack of beans. You pop only 3 beans. you get 2males/1female.

Do you give up? Or pop the rest?

And what is the average # of beans of 1 strain that you pop to find your keeper?
    1) Pop the rest.

2) 3-4

Status
    Country
    Spain
    Liked
    125 times
    Well i might need to clarify the ethics question... As i have received a few PM's about breeder projects.
    It all started with both sides of the coin.
    A: I had a FB private message telling me another mid-level breeder was using our GHT#1 to cross with one of his winning strains. The messenger thought I (we ) would be upset.
    Actually, RD was quite please. And can't wait to see the results.

B: A clone that RD gave out to an acquaintance is being used for breeding and commercial dispensary flower production. Not really what we wanted .. But since it was traded, it is his now. His do do what he wants. The only restriction was not to give/sale the clone.

C: A person that RD aquired one of the stains we work with has decided that maybe he should not have traded it. All reconigtion has been given to this person, and Rd has not given the clone out to anyone else.

SO now you see why I posed the question.

My personal belief still stands. When you trade/sale/give, the item is no longer yours. The new "owner" can do as he pleases.

And to the few who PM'd me... by all means breed away. Just make sure you give credit where credit is due.

As for as the # of bean question.. I was speaking with another breeder about the bad habits of beginner growers, and it seems the 1st on the list , is they give up TOO soon. They are unwilling to take the time to "dial" things in.
    They never consider that they may have done something wrong or that different starins need different requirments sometimes.
    Growing isn't easy all the time.
    Lord know I KILL every/all plants. I killed a 24 year old bonsi tree, the first year I had it. yeah, yeah I know. THe MR. will only let me near his girls under dire circumstances. But I think in the next few months, I might take a stab at it, with my own lil' garden.

Thanks for the feed back.
    Last edited by mrs_rare_dankness; 07-11-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    Belize
    Liked
    12822 times
    On A,

I have to commend R D, on his decision to allow the breeder to do this as this,
    is the way the community should be.

On B,

Restrictions were set in place, and should have been upheld on moral grounds.
    That the holder was of an obligation not to sell clones.

On C,

Did the person put any restriction on the deal that led to the acquisition of the strain.

peace,

Dublin

Well i might need to clarify the ethics question... As i have received a few PM's about breeder projects.
    It all started with both sides of the coin.
    A: I had a FB private message telling me another mid-level breeder was using our GHT#1 to cross with one of his winning strains. The messenger thought I (we ) would be upset.
    Actually, RD was quite please. And can't wait to see the results.

B: A clone that RD gave out to an acquaintance is being used for breeding and commercial dispensary flower production. Not really what we wanted .. But since it was traded, it is his now. His do do what he wants. The only restriction was not to give/sale the clone.

C: A person that RD aquired one of the stains we work with has decided that maybe he should not have traded it. All reconigtion has been given to this person, and Rd has not given the clone out to anyone else.

SO now you see why I posed the question.

My personal belief still stands. When you trade/sale/give, the item is no longer yours. The new "owner" can do as he pleases.

And to the few who PM'd me... by all means breed away. Just make sure you give credit where credit is due.

As for as the # of bean question.. I was speaking with another breeder about the bad habits of beginner growers, and it seems the 1st on the list , is they give up TOO soon. They are unwilling to take the time to "dial" things in.
    They never consider that they may have done something wrong or that different starins need different requirments sometimes.
    Growing isn't easy all the time.
    Lord know I KILL every/all plants. I killed a 24 year old bonsi tree, the first year I had it. yeah, yeah I know. THe MR. will only let me near his girls under dire circumstances. But I think in the next few months, I might take a stab at it, with my own lil' garden.

Thanks for the feed back.

Status
    Country
    Jamaica
    Liked
    833 times
    A. My jealous self would flash slightly, but being an elite breeder, one had to expect people to use one's published work in their own projects. However veterans should know or have the respect to ask first. It is essentially free testing for RD.

B. I'd be irritated by the breach of verbal contact. Did they at least cross the cut before selling the nug? But also agreeing with Mrs. Rd's view of a trade, one has to accept it for what it is if credit is given.

C. A trade is a trade. It would be unfair to ask you to give up the spent work hours on a whim of traders remorse. A polite but firm get bent if they don't take a hint. I'm not asking back my gift of equal value...
    Testing Alien Ballz Deep and Kats n Dogs for Sub Rosa

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    366 times
    IMO if I buy beans from a reputable breeder and by reputable I don't mean popular by youtube, I mean he's been doing the shit forever and knows a little more than most about it, I would expect what I pop to be all keepers.

1 keeper out of 12 beans? That's fucking bullshit. Pardon my french.
    Last edited by NdNOutlaw; 10-14-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Status
    Country
    Spain
    Liked
    125 times
    It depends. Sometimes you find a keeper
    Out of 6,12,30 seeds.
    Other times it is 100+.
    Like the GTH#1. That was one female
    Chosen out of 150+.

Quote Originally Posted by NdNOutlaw View Post
    IMO if I buy beans from a reputable breeder and by reputable I don't mean popular by youtube, I mean he's been doing the shit forever and knows a little more than most about it, I would expect what I pop to be all keepers.

1 keeper out of 12 beans? That's fucking bullshit. Pardon my french.

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    366 times
    It depends. Sometimes you find a keeper
    Out of 6,12,30 seeds.
    Other times it is 100+.
    Like the GTH#1. That was one female
    Chosen out of 150+.
    Right but I would never buy that strain. Someone with a plant limit has no time to be growing out 100 plants to find one goood one?

Especially for breeding purposes.. Have fun stabilizing something like that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast