Terms
Advertise   Support WW    Contact   
    Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    Belize
    Liked
    12822 times
    Epsom salt is the common name given to magnesium sulfate. Magnesium and sulfur are two minerals that plants need to survive and grow.

Feeding your lawn with it can increase the chlorophyll content and improve the grass's ability to synthesize food, leading to lush, healthy lawns.
    For vibrant plants and vegetables, add just a spoonful to prevent weak stalks and yellow leaves. Sprinkle it around the base of a plant to produce big healthy vegetables.
    The Epsom Salt Council claims that by sprinkling a few tablespoonfuls around your garden and garbage cans, raccoons and woodchucks will stay away, and it will not harm the animals.

Using Epsom Salt in the Garden

Houseplants :

Mix one teaspoon per gallon of water and feed to the plants every two to four weeks.

Garden startup
    :

Sprinkle approximately one cup per 100 square feet (10' x 10', or 3 meters x 3 meters) and mix into the soil before planting.

Tomatoes :

Apply one tablespoon per foot of height for each plant every two weeks.

Roses :

Apply one teaspoon per foot of height for each plant every two weeks.

Evergreens, Azaleas, Rhododendrons :

Apply one tablespoon per nine square feet (3' x 3', or 1 meter x 1 meter, which is 10.76 feet) over the root zone every two to four weeks.

Lawns :

Apply three pounds per 1,250 square feet (25' x 50', or 7.5 x 15 meters)
    Apply six pounds per 2,500 square feet (50' x 50', or 15 x 15 meters)
    Apply twelve pounds per 5,000 square feet (50' x 100', or 15 x 30 meters)

Trees :

Apply two tablespoons per nine square feet (3' x 3', or 1 meter x 1 meter, which is 10.76 feet) over root zone every four months.

Ameri-canna
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3991 times
    My inclination is to use the tomato application rate, given how similarly tomatoes and cannabis use nutes (a number cannabis nutrient manufacturers market their products as tomato food). The other option I see - for indoor gardening anyway - is the houseplant application rate.

The garden start-up application rate could be used, I guess, but it would be kind of complicated:

1. Figure the surface area for each pot.
    a. First, determine the radius ("r") for each pot. r is half the distance across the pot OR the distance from the center of the pot to the rim (they're the same thing). Distance MUST be measured in inches to work correctly.
    b. Multiply r by itself (r x r)
    c. Multiply that total by 3.14159
    d. Write down the surface area for each pot.
    2. Add all of surface areas together.
    3. Divide that number, which is the total surface area of all your pots, by 14,400.
    4. The result is the number of cups of Epsom salts you'll need to treat your plants.

Which method to use depends on how you want to apply the treatment.

Anyone confused? :P
    Last edited by RacerX; 08-18-2012 at 05:09 AM.

Status
    Country
    Sweden
    Liked
    135 times
    Excellent post and information.

A good dosage rate for Epsom Salt is 1 gram per gallon for medical MJ, FYI.

Cheers!

Ameri-canna
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3991 times
    But... but... but where's all the math?

God, I love the simpler way to do things!

Is it 420 Yet?
    Status
    Country
    Vietnam
    Liked
    822 times
    Am big believer in E. Salts both for a lil feed and flush. I will use it a few different times in veg to completly flush out my plants it just seems to give them a kick in the ass,plants are happy they seem to pray to jah right after that flush.They jump right back into eating no problem are greener , just happier plants.
    The Great Spirit is in all things, he is in the air we breathe. The Great Spirit is our Father, but the Earth is our Mother. She nourishes us, that which we put into the ground she returns to us....

When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it. No taxes, no debt, women did all the work. White man thought he could improve on a system like this. -

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    Belize
    Liked
    12822 times
    N8ive,

I use it every two weeks as a foliar spray.
    Does my plants wonders.

Peace,

DSF.

Status
    Country
    Ireland
    Liked
    626 times
    U should ask the company what is rates are for cannabis? Lol. I use Epsom salts in my mix, and it's in bud candy, but I didn't know how to use it like some of you do? I'll give it a whirl, it just makes me cringe to think I'm smoking Epsom salt, again, lol.

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    England
    Liked
    208 times
    I use it about 2 or 3 weeks into a bloom cycle iff needed as a foliar spray at the rate of 1level teaspoon per litre. iff i dont see a magnesium deff i cant see the point in adding it, it may cause more harm than good.