Advertise   Support WW    Contact   
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Admin

Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    1905 times
    As I prepared to leave for the Seattle Hempfest, a lovely celebration of all things related to marijuana, I could not help but think about what a wonderful time it is right now for those of us who smoke marijuana. We have the best quality marijuana in the world grown right here in the US, and even in those regions of the country that do not yet offer legal marijuana, the selection of different strains on the black market is outstanding. Of course, in those states with some version of […]

As I prepared to leave for the Seattle Hempfest, a lovely celebration of all things related to marijuana, I could not help but think about what a wonderful time it is right now for those of us who smoke marijuana. We have the best quality marijuana in the world grown right here in the US, and even in those regions of the country that do not yet offer legal marijuana, the selection of different strains on the black market is outstanding. Of course, in those states with some version of legal marijuana, that selection is also conveniently available in retail outlets (at least for those who qualify).
    When I began smoking marijuana in the mid-1960s, the question we generally asked the dealer-man was simple: do you have anything available? It was a simple yes-or-no question; and seldom did he have more than one or two strains. And worst of all, during the late summer and early fall, while we were waiting for the marijuana harvest to finish and work its way through the inefficient black market network from field to consumer, most years we experienced what we called a “drought.” During these droughts, there was simply no marijuana available, or at least nothing other than ditchweed, which was not worth smoking. Those dry periods would usually last for several weeks. But eventually we would get the word that the supply system was once again working, and we could again stock-up with a supply of adequate, but seldom great weed.
    As best I can recall, I generally paid about $60 per ounce, so the cost was affordable, and there was usually an even less expensive version for those who were looking for a bargain, although I think most of that lower quality marijuana was likely headed for the college campuses all across America. According to a recent article published by the IvyGate website, citing a review of pot prices at all Ivy League schools published by the Yale Daily News in 1971, prices at the Ivy League colleges at the time were as low $8 and as high as $25 (for the best quality, usually obtained from Vietnam vets) per ounce. And the quality of what we then thought of as good marijuana would not compare favorably with what we routinely get today, whether from the black market or from a legal market.
    READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON MARIJUANA.COM

More...

Site Supporter

Status
    Liked
    434 times
    You know I would say it was the exact opposite... I think although there is a large selection, of strains with different names in todays market.

There is nothing that really compares to all the wonderful different strains, and exotic grass I have smoked in the long forgotten past.

Columbian gold for example, the gold color is from the curing process. But I remember getting bags of that crayon yellow bud, that would make me feel so good I would lay down on the floor. And I couldn't even get up to give my friend a ride home. I use to throw him a bud, to walk home. How he made it home was beyond me, lol.

Site Supporter

Status
    Liked
    434 times
    Laughing red bud, we use to call it. From Panama, I use to laugh and laugh until my sides hurt when I smoked it

The 3 main original strains from Hawaii, Blood, Maui, and the 3rd name escapes me at the moment. The highs were incredible. (many strains are grown in Hawaii today, but nothing like the originals)

The rainbow bud from the Vietnamese region. Looked like someone had spilled oil on it. As it refracted rainbow colors in the light from the resin.

Site Supporter

Status
    Liked
    434 times
    There was always plenty of good pot for cheap in the old days. It didn't start going dry until the 80s. The dry spots got heavier and heavier, until 1986. I recall the whole summer there was no weed. After that, weed never seemed the same again to me.

This absence of the good pot, is what forced me to be come a breeder and grower...

Site Supporter

Status
    Liked
    434 times
    The real question is of course why?

2 main things I've observed:

1. The removal of a lot of land race strains by companies like Monsanto.

2. Cannabis is a plant that can change radically just from generation to generation, quite easly. Numerious breedings from original stock and the advent of HID's which produce a different type of bud. are the main reasons for the change.

Status
    Liked
    24 times
    I paid $10/quarter most of the way through high school in the late 70's. Sold some for a while too, paying $200/QP at the time. We all got plenty high at the time, but none of it was really good. We were young and didn't know any better, and I also didn't have 30 years of smoking behind me to develop some kind of tolerance. Plus, there is still something about getting high when/where you're not supposed to that really bumps up the high, and as high school kids, we were ALWAYS getting high when/where you're not supposed to!
    There may have been some amazing stuff back then, but I'm not buying this whole "the weed was so much better back then" stuff in general.

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    56 times
    I grew up in Miami and yea we had dry spells but you could always go to the projects and find some to get you through I miss the old stuff to we had some stuff going around called creep weed tasted a little like dirt and you thought you bought crap until you stood up lol I think it was Mexican but the 70,s were kina blurry thinking back I could be wrong o0 the best I can remember was we used to get this red bud from a older Jamaican guy at work 25 bucks for a oz cheaper if you bought more we would chip in on a pound and split it 4 ways good times
    No comment is still a comment

Site Supporter

Status
    Liked
    434 times
    Well I'd say, there are 2 possibilities. Old time weed is better Or some peoples memories are faulty.

Site Supporter

Status
    Liked
    434 times
    And I would say, if my memory was faulty, why would it only be in this area?

I have to say, the weed of today, is so far off, from what I remember. It would be just about impossible for me to be wrong.

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    56 times
    maybe we just have a much bigger tolerance in our old age lol
    No comment is still a comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast