Terms
Advertise   Support WW    Contact   
    Admin

Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    1905 times
    While Amsterdam coffeeshop owners hope to be able to work out a political compromise to remain open for non-Dutch, it looks like the rest of The Netherlands will quickly move to embrace these court-ordered changes to their business model.
    Let’s hope that this past High Times Cannabis Cup Awards will not be the last!
    From the Huffington Post
    THE HAGUE, Netherlands — Long famous for “coffee shops” where joints and cappuchinos share the menu, the Netherlands’ famed tolerance for drugs could be going up in smoke.
    A judge on Friday upheld a government plan to ban non-Dutch residents from buying marijuana by introducing a “weed pass” available only to residents.
    The new regulation reins in one of the country’s most cherished symbols of tolerance – its laissez-faire attitude to soft drugs – and reflects the drift away from a long-held view of the Netherlands as a free-wheeling utopia.
    For many tourists visiting Amsterdam the image endures – and smoking a joint in a canalside coffee shop ranks high on their to-do lists along with visiting cultural highlights like the Van Gogh Museum.
    The city’s left-leaning Mayor Eberhard van der Laan is hoping to hammer out a compromise with the national government.
    Coffee shops also have not given up the fight. A week ago they mustered a few hundred patrons for a “smoke-in” in downtown Amsterdam to protest the new restrictions.
    A lawyer for owners, Maurice Veldman, said he would file an appeal against the ruling by a judge at The Hague District court, which clears the way for the weed pass to be introduced in southern provinces on May 1.
    Read more here

More...

Status
    Liked
    11 times
    That's really a low blow! Well there goes Amsterdam's tourist trade! UP IN SMOKE! (but only in dark alleys) !

- Bert, I want NORML to have a thread on every cannabis forum & post every petition on these threads! I haven't found that anywhere. Does the law have some kind of a hold on that? I can imagine no other reason this hasn't happened already. If we could make this work, it could mean thousands of more signatures. So what do you think?
    Last edited by catbuds; 07-12-2014 at 04:29 AM.

Status
    Liked
    11 times
    Sorry, too late to edit. My last post was meant to read...' I haven't found that anywhere BUT HERE! But still no petitions.
    - Are there legalities preventing this? NORML (MPP & ALL organizations) should be posting their petitions everywhere! I'm a member of another forum who welcomes this idea. The NORML employee/intern I spoke with was enthusiastic about it too. I emailed MPP about starting a thread of petitions on that site too, but haven't heard back. So NORML has the other sites contact info, & vice versa. Trying to make things happen. Maybe you could tell me if this action is permissible by law. What can I do to make this happen at all the sites? PLEASE Bert, HELP ME!