Terms
Advertise   Support WW    Contact   
    Admin

Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    1905 times
    Attorney General Eric Holder promised Washington and Colorado state attorneys general on Tuesday that the Justice Department would issue its verdict “soon” on how it plans to treat the states’ recent moves to legalize marijuana. “We’re still in the process of reviewing both of the initiatives that were passed,” said Holder, speaking at the National [...]
    Attorney General Eric Holder promised Washington and Colorado state attorneys general on Tuesday that the Justice Department would issue its verdict “soon” on how it plans to treat the states’ recent moves to legalize marijuana.
    “We’re still in the process of reviewing both of the initiatives that were passed,” said Holder, speaking at the National Association of Attorney General annual conference in Washington, D.C.
    “You will hear soon. We’re in the last stages of that review and we’re trying to make a determination as to what the policy ramifications are going to be, what our international obligations are — there are a whole variety of things that go into this determination — but the people of [Colorado] and Washington deserve an answer and you will have one soon.”
    Holder was responding to Colorado state attorney general John Suthers, who asked the nation’s top law enforcement official when the DOJ would be weighing in on the state laws that have been in effect for nearly two months.
    The DOJ is charged with enforcing the federal prohibition on marijuana, and the state laws run counter to the long-existing ban, creating a debate over which law should be enforced and which law is most responsive to the will of the people.
    Marijuana has been a centerpiece of the federal government’s “war on drugs,” aimed at cracking down on drug use in the United States. But the growing number of people who support the decriminalization of pot — which is still legally classified nationally in the same category as heroin — has some policymakers in Washington, D.C., rethinking their approach.
    On Monday, nearly a dozen House Democrats introduced several bills that would decriminalize marijuana and remove the drug from the list of controlled substances, while requiring the federal government to regulate it and impose penalties on tax-evaders.
    Holder has met or talked with both governors and attorneys general from Colorado and Washington during the DOJ’s review process, posing a series of questions to the state leaders, such as how they plan to prevent marijuana produced in the state from being trafficked to other states where the drug is not legal.
    Source: Hill, The (US DC)
    Author: Jordy Yager
    Published: February 26, 2013
    Copyright: 2013 The Hill

More...

Status
    Country
    Canada
    Liked
    9 times
    any update on this? i can't wait to see how the fed is going to treat the situation. i think most people would prefer that the states be allowed to pursue medical marijuana. i think the real concern though is what about the states that don't want it? i think the reality is that they will have a more difficult time trying to keep it out of their states when their neighboring states with medical programs have an abundance. i think we have to be real here and say that look at like california and colorado and try to say that the weed they're growing isn't going all over america because chances are it pretty much is. that's what happens when you get that abundance and i think it's made it more readily available to the states that don't want it along with the ones that do. one upside is that this abundance really can push out the criminal elements that have embedded themselves in the marijuana industry for the sake of financial gain.

i'm all for legalization but we've got to make some smart moves here if we don't want things to spin out of control and to make ourselves look irresponsible.

p.s. i'm a u.s. citizen currently living in canada because i have dual citizenship :P
    Last edited by coolmoedee; 02-27-2013 at 06:14 AM.

Is it 420 Yet?
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3984 times
    I have full confidence Holder will make a just decision LMAO

Thanks for the info Bert and I hope all is well

mal