Terms
Advertise   Support WW    Contact   
    Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    Belize
    Liked
    12822 times

A little more than a week after the state Supreme Court ruled that Michigan's medical marijuana law doesn't allow for dispensaries, a state lawmaker is ready to file a bill that would allow cities and counties to approve them via local option.

State Rep. Mike Callton (R-Nashville) said he will introduce House Bill 4271(not yet available online) Tuesday. The bill already has bipartisan support, with eight Democrat and eight Republican cosponsors.

A similar bill died in committee last year, and medical marijuana foe Attorney General Bill Schuette (R) has said no further medical marijuana bills are needed this year, but Callton told the Lansing State Journal he thought the measure would fare better this time around.

"I'm a Republican and I'm from a conservative area, but I've seen growing support from a lot of other legislators for this from both parties," Callton said. "And now, with this court ruling, it becomes much more important. I want people to be able to take a recommendation for (marijuana) from their doctor and be able to go to what we're calling a provisionary center."

Not only has Schuette come out against any new medical marijuana bills, his office will this week send out letters to all 83 county prosecutors instructing them to shut down anything resembling a dispensary, his office said on Friday.

Between the state Supreme Court ruling and Schuette's aggressive posture, Michigan dispensary operators—there may be as many as a hundred statewide—are running scared. Many have closed their doors, while others remain open only on the down low.

"Nobody I know in this state is advertising this service anymore—it's all going to be word-of-mouth from now on," said Holice Wood, owner of a compassion club, told the State Journal.

The state's 125,000 registered medical marijuana patients now must grow their medicine themselves, rely on a caregiver (limited to no more than five patients), or resort to the black market. Patients need safe access to their medicine, they said.

"It's cost-prohibitive to grow this yourself, and it's labor intensive," said Alec McKelvey Jr., 41, of Warren, a state-registered patient who uses marijuana to fight the side effects of cancer treatments. "You have to spend hundreds of dollars on equipment and really know what you're doing to get a quality plant that has no parasites or mold—that would make my health worse," McKelvey said.

Lansing,
    MI
    United States

Source:

Is it 420 Yet?
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3984 times
    It shoes the two sides of the Republican's- 1 is trying to get the dispensaries their due in court/ The other is trying to shut down anything like a dispensary. Weird how it works like that. I am like the 1st guy LMAO

Thanks for the info DSF and I hope all is well

mal

Ameri-canna
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3991 times
    I am a hardcore conservative with libertarian leanings, and Scheutte's stance on mmj is as offensive to me as it is to liberals or any other mmj supporters. He's a true believer, though - much in the same vein of our own true believers, and all of us think we have God/common sense on our side: There will be no conversions thru dialogue - only something like the biblical "Road to Damascus moment" is gonna change the opinions of true believers. Consensus, though, can overrule them, and I hope this bill finds consensus in the MI legislature.

You wanna talk chutzpah, though? Scheutte says no further mmj bills are needed this year, and it's only February 19: The state legislature is only a month and change into it's session of for the year, and there are more than ten months left in the session. Moreover, Scheutte fills an executive branch office, and he is trying to dictate the legislature's agenda. Rather than administering the laws he's charged with enforcing, Scheutte is overstepping the boundaries of his authority and his office to project his own prejudices onto the legal landscape to persecute those whom he considers in violation of his own personal code of conduct. He's a funny guy.

Is it 420 Yet?
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3984 times
    If you mean he's a homo I'll agree, I don't find humor in his overstepping his boundries. As you've said he's a true believer, he needs someone close to him to find weed as a helpful friend like to combat illness or to get an appetite. He also needs to come out of that cave he's been living in and suck on a vaporizer for a change

I'm kidding but sending little notes to everyone is kinda childish, I think we are on the same page Racer X. Besides Speed Racer was my favorite cartoon as a kid and Racer X was an awesome older brother. I'm the oldest in my family so I always wanted an older brother and one like Racer X would have been perfect. Take care and I hope all is well with you and yours

mal