Advertise   Support WW    Contact   
    Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    Belize
    Liked
    12822 times
    Weed Buck$
    People who smoke medical marijuana to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder will lose their right to smoke it if a local psychiatrist gets his way.

Dr. William Ulwelling has petitioned the state to remove PTSD from the list of qualifying conditions.

"There's no good scientific link saying that marijuana treats PTSD," Ulwelling said.

It is that lack of evidence that Ulwelling said prompted him to write a petition to get PTSD knocked off the list of qualifying conditions for medical marijuana patients in New Mexico.

"People with PTSD are at special risk to be harmed by marijuana, as many as two-thirds of people who have PTSD, are subsequently developing substance abuse," Ulwelling said.

But one organization argues that removing PTSD as a qualifier would essentially disqualify nearly half of the state's medical cannabis patients, many who are also veterans.

"Their access to effective care is being threatened by this petition," Director Emily Kaltenbach, of New Mexico's Drug Policy Alliance said.

PTSD is the number one condition patients in New Mexico are approved under.

"Over 40 percent of medical cannabis patients are approved under PTSD," Kaltenbach said.

In other words, nearly 3,300 patients currently enrolled, who say medical marijuana works for them, would lose access to the medicinal drug, Kaltenbach said.

"Some of them have actually transitioned off other medications that were severely or really addictive medications, and they can use medical cannabis without serious side effects," Kaltenbach said.

The New Mexico Medical Cannabis Advisory Board will review the petition on November 7th. Veterans are planning to speak out against it.

The interim health secretary will make the final decision.

"I'm not even arguing that there might be some people currently in the program that are benefiting from it, I'm just saying there's no evidence at the current time to say, we could offer this to the people of New Mexico as an accepted treatment," Ulwelling said.

: Source

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    13943 times
    Weed Buck$
    Funk you, take your own funk'n pills and let us medicate in a safe and mother's finest remedy for most aliments. Funk'n quack! Dude needs to step into the light, and listen to those that use MM and are able to live a some what normal life. Prone to be addicts, everyone's prone to be on any chemical reaction. Funk'n pisses me off!
    Funk Monk

Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    32 times
    Weed Buck$
    That's because punk ass dr ulwelling probably doesn't have PTSD. Being the coward he is I'd be willing to bet he never served his country and been in the line of fire. He makes me sick. Sorry for the rant. Welcome back Dub hope all is well. Shea

usually at your moms but if not jacksbeanstock
    Status
    Country
    Jamaica
    Liked
    1414 times
    Weed Buck$
    I agree....whacked...cannabis is excellent medicine for ptsd n many many ways...its a game changer for many and helps in ways no pharma could especially if used with edibles regularly keep that edge off and smokeables as needed or wanted. I got weird ptsd issue from life not miltary unfortunately n cookies even make my dreams happy.....without them not like I have vicious nightmares everynight but I do have a lot these anxious uneasy paranoia dreams n when i eat cookies I just dreaM OF FUNNY GOOD HAPPY THINGS.....its an incredible effect for me I try to show others suffer from this shit...... couple kickin in right now actually....he he he....they make me laugh a lot too! that never hurts!

Surviving the Game
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3871 times
    Weed Buck$
    Shame on New Mexico cause Cali wouldn't even get involved with that BS!