Terms
Advertise   Support WW    Contact   
    Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    Belize
    Liked
    12822 times
    Alison Holcomb isn't your average marijuana activist. For starters, she doesn't smoke pot. She also wears pencil skirts and silky blouses to Hempfest, and brings along her four-year-old son Dashiell. You're unlikely to hear her utter "fuck the feds," though many others will in the brash, macho world of cannabis reform.

Yet Holcomb is the author and campaign director of Initiative 502, the measure that has a good chance of making Washington the first state in the county to end marijuana prohibition.

An ACLU staffer, she came out of the gate with a jaw-dropping list of sponsors--including travel guru Rick Steves, City Attorney Pete Holmes and former U.S. Attorney and Bush appointee John McKay--and keeps winning more and more endorsements as time goes on. The latest stunner: the statewide Children's Alliance, not the usual group to align itself with cannabis reform.

She's pulled off these victories by creating a unique, complex initiative designed to appeal to the mainstream, one that is, as she and her staffers are at pains to emphasize, far from "pro-pot."

It's no accident that a TV ad for the initiative features a middle-aged mom of four. Such moms are her audience, as are civil libertarians, African Americans worried about racial disparity in drug enforcement, and taxpayers of all stripes tired of all the money being siphoned off for that cause.

Ironically, her most vociferous critics come from inside the marijuana reform movement, and they feel that Holcomb is "pandering" to soccer moms and other relatively conservative voters. As defense attorney and pot activist Douglas Hiatt puts it, referring to the initiative: "You're god damned right it isn't pro-pot. But it should be."

Another fierce critic is fellow lawyer and marijuana activist Jeffrey Steinborn--a man Holcomb once called her boss, and a father figure. He is not speaking to her now. At least he's not calling her the devil, as some marijuana activists are.

The vitriol is as unprecedented as is Holcomb's success. And to fully understand the dynamic, you have to know a little about the years that led up to this point, when Holcomb was cutting her teeth on marijuana activism, earning fans and enemies along the way. Our cover story this week, "Pot Mama," tells the tale.

: Source

frequent inhaler
    Status
    Liked
    1658 times
    It always saddens me to read/hear stories where it's people from within the cannabis subculture who come out against legalization. especially true in this case as the main gripe against 502 is that it isn't 'pro pot' enough. how much more 'pro pot than complete legalization for personal use can you get?
    “When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
    ― John Lennon

Sub Rosa Gardens

Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    4045 times
    Have you seen the restrictions proposed in the prop?
    Go to- source:
    And click on Pot Mama... they say DUI for THC levels higher than a specified level. That level would allow them to fill jails or fine the hell outta every frequent puffer with DUI convictions. Somebody read the level to me and it is really concerning to me how low it sounded, though I am not a chemist.
    I pissed dirty after 33 days one time. With anorexia and need for frequent dosing, I could never drive again if I lived in Washington. So the grower/sellers would benefit from not being patients. The patient/grower would risk DUI to go to work.
    This attorney lady has got an angle, and to me there is an underlying agenda.

I read a while back that pot DUIs would be wtitten in if pot laws change... here is proof. I urge Washington voters to look up the DUI level, then find out where you sit daily.
    Vince Semilla AKA The Baked Crusader
    SUBROSAGARDENS

Ameri-canna
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3991 times
    The connection between cannabis use and impairment of driving abilities is arguable, so a DUI for cannabis would seem to be a fictional crime:

[T]he California Department of Justice has found that marijuana undoubtedly impairs psychomotor abilities that are functionally related to driving and that driving skills may be impaired, particularly at high-dose levels or among inexperienced users. "Marijuana and Alcohol: A Driver Performance Study", California Office of Traffic Safety Project No. 087902 (Sept. 1986). Contradicting these conclusions, however, are two federal studies. The U.S. Department of Transportation conducted research with a fully interactive simulator on the effects of alcohol and marijuana, alone and in combination, on driver-controlled behavior and performance. Although alcohol was found consistently and significantly to cause impairment, marijuana had only an occasional effect. Also, there was little evidence of interaction between alcohol and marijuana. Accidents and speeding tickets reliably increased with alcohol, but no marijuana or combined alcohol-marijuana effects were noted. "The Effects of Alcohol on Driver-Controlled Behavior in a Driving Simulator, Phase I", DOT-HS-806-414.
    A more recent report entitled "Marijuana and Actual Performance", DOT-HS-808-078, noted that "THC is not a profoundly impairing drug….It apparently affects controlled information processing in a variety of laboratory tests, but not to the extent which is beyond the individual’s ability to control when he is motivated and permitted to do so in driving". The study concluded that:

An important practical objective of this study was to determine whether degrees of driving impairment can be actually predicted from either measured concentration of THC in plasma or performance measured in potential roadside "sobriety" tests of tracking ability or hand and posture stability. The results, like many reported before, indicated that none of these measures accurately predicts changes in actual performance under the influence of THC…
    The researchers found that it "appears not possible to conclude anything about a driver’s impairment on the basis of his/her plasma concentrations of THC and THC-COOH determined in a single sample".

Sub Rosa Gardens

Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    4045 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    The connection between cannabis use and impairment of driving abilities is arguable, so a DUI for cannabis would seem to be a fictional crime:
    Nice post RacerX...
    Vince Semilla AKA The Baked Crusader
    SUBROSAGARDENS

Ameri-canna
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3991 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TreFarmer View Post
    Nice post RacerX...
    Fucking KILLS me that no one ever references FEDERAL studies that impugn the meme that drivers under the influence of marijuana drivers are dangerous. Those fucking federal studies ought to be shouted from courthouse rooftops.

Status
    Liked
    2448 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    Fucking KILLS me that no one ever references FEDERAL studies that impugn the meme that drivers under the influence of marijuana drivers are dangerous. Those fucking federal studies ought to be shouted from courthouse rooftops.
    The BBC did a doc that showed pot smokers better, not worse. The U.S feds aren't gonna use any data that contradicts their hardline BS. Ronnie Raygun stated he had PROOF that it was worse than atomic blast exposure. That's the shite they're gonna push, not the "inconvenient truth".