Advertise   Support WW    Contact   
    Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    Belize
    Liked
    12822 times
    The Irish Times - Thursday, September 13, 2012-

IT HAS been known for many years that the medicinal use of cannabis extracts can have a beneficial effect in the treatment of multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injuries, cancer pain and a range of other conditions. But because cannabis has been declared an illegal substance under the Misuse of Drugs Act, there has been an official reluctance to address the issue. Now that the Irish Medicines Board (IMB) has approved the cannabidiol drug Sativex, on prescription, the necessary enabling legislation should be introduced as a matter of urgency.

This particular product, which is dispensed through a vaporiser, was approved for the treatment of multiple sclerosis in Canada 17 years ago. It has been authorised in six other countries since that time and is available in Northern Ireland under the National Health Service. Delaying its availability to patients here, now that it has been recommended for use as “a valid treatment option” by the IMB, would be cruel. Discussions on how to authorise medicinal cannabinoids, while retaining existing controls on cannabis use, should be quickly resolved within the Department of Health, along with issues of cost and the range of conditions to be covered.

The cannabis plant has been used as a medicine for thousands of years in China, Egypt and the Middle East. An Irish physician William Brooke O’Shaughnessy has been credited with reintroducing cannabis to modern western medicine for the treatment of muscle spasm, stomach cramps and general pain in the 1830s.

Laudanum, a tincture of opium, was also freely available in western society and was later found to be hugely addictive. The approval of synthetic cannabis for the treatment of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease, along with glaucoma and the effects of chemotherapy, in the United States and elsewhere has sharpened public debate on recreational use of the cannabis plant. A gradual reduction in the severity of criminal sanctions has followed in many countries.

Cannabis smoke contains many of the same carcinogens found in tobacco. The damaging effects the drug can have on adolescent users, particularly in relation to learning, remembering and problem solving cautions against legalisation, not forgetting the risk of a psychotic episode in some cases. On the other hand, the huge profits made by drug gangs suggest strict licensing as an appropriate response. Whatever about that debate, the Department of Health should make sure that patients who may benefit from this drug receive it as soon as possible in controlled circumstances.

: Source

Is it 420 Yet?
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3984 times
    In America there are no accepted medicinal uses for marijuana, were a bunch of assholes(at least our government is). Looks like your country is getting with it, I hope all is well with you and yours

mal

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    Belize
    Liked
    12822 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    In America there are no accepted medicinal uses for marijuana, were a bunch of assholes(at least our government is). Looks like your country is getting with it, I hope all is well with you and yours

mal
    Thanks Mal.

It opens the door for us in the most brilliant fashion.
    As they now have to write new acts and rules of law ................
    which will put the grower in a better postion to fight back in the courts of law,
    when charged with growing.

Under E.U. law they would of had to do this, as Spain, Portugal, Belgium, switzerland, and the Netherlands
    are allowed medical cannabis for medical use.

About time they started to look at this .............
    I would not mind, but we have one of the most right wing parties in power at the moment Fine Gael.
    So all this so quick is a bit of a shock to the system.

Peace,

DSF.

Ameri-canna
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3991 times
    Unlike my government, I have found many acceptable uses for marijuana.

Is it 420 Yet?
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3984 times
    I believe the right wing is as understanding as the left anytime, just like this. Obama is supposed to be a huge left winger but he's as harsh or harsher than Bush was as far as fucking with weed. And arrests for weed in the US went from 200,000 a year to almost 1,000,000 a year under Bill Clinton the last left winger we had as president(and a guy that didn't inhale) Take care and I hope all is well

mal

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    Belize
    Liked
    12822 times
    Mal,

Over here it is either Paramilitary revolutionary left or Facist police / Gardai state right,
    with two parties in the middle Labour and Fianna Fail.

So I am very surprised with the fascists and there colluders Labour putting this forward.
    I never thought I would see the day that both Enda Kenny (FG) and Eamon Gilmore (LP) would address MMJ.

Peace,

DSF.

Is it 420 Yet?
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3984 times
    Well I'm glad to hear that, hopefully things will take a turn for the better. I'd love to visit the "new amsterdam" in Ireland LOL. Take care my friend

mal

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    Belize
    Liked
    12822 times
    Lol ....... Mal,

We might get Donnybrook over to open a space cake shop.
    He would be in his element.

Peace,

DSF.