Terms
Advertise   Support WW    Contact   
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Liked
    1040 times
    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Nine former heads of the Drug Enforcement Administration urged Attorney General Eric Holder on Friday to take a stand against possible legalization of recreational marijuana in three western states, saying silence would convey acceptance.

The nine former officials, illustrating a likely clash between the states and the federal government if marijuana use was allowed for fun, said in a letter dated Friday that legalization would pose a direct conflict with federal law.

"To continue to remain silent conveys to the American public and the global community a tacit acceptance of these dangerous initiatives," said a copy of the letter obtained by Reuters.

Voters in Colorado, Washington state and Oregon are set to decide in the November polls whether to legalize marijuana for recreational purposes and to regulate and tax its sale. They would be the first states to make such a move.

The letter from the former DEA heads is similar to one they sent Holder in 2010 urging him to oppose a recreational pot legalization ballot measure in California. That ultimately failed with 53.5 percent of voters rejecting it.

A spokeswoman for Holder said she was not aware of Friday's letter.

Holder came out strongly against the California measure in a letter to the former administrators before the vote, warning that top U.S. officials would enforce federal laws against pot in California despite any state-level legalization.

Kevin Sabet, a former senior adviser to President Barack Obama's administration on marijuana issues, said he would not be surprised if Holder gave the same response as he had to the California ballot.

"Essentially, a state vote in favor of legalization is a moot point since federal laws would be, in (Holder's) own words (from 2010), 'vigorously enforced,'" Sabet said. "I can't imagine a scenario where the Feds would sit back and do nothing."

Obama administration officials have until now said little about the new ballot measures, although the federal government has cracked down on medical cannabis dispensaries in several states by raiding them and threatening legal action.

MESSAGE TO VOTERS

The nine signatories to Friday's letter included John Bartels, who ran the DEA from 1973 to 1975, and Karen Tandy, who was in charge from 2003 to 2007, as well as all the heads of the federal law enforcement agency in the intervening years.

Tom Constantine, who was in charge of the DEA from 1994 to 1999 and is one of the signatories to Friday's letter, said the former administrators hoped it would send a message to voters and alter the public debate.

Constantine told Reuters the letter was sent "so that the voters would know in all fairness that no matter what they vote on in Colorado or wherever it is, that federal law still prevails."

Obama administration drug czar Gil Kerlikowske, in response to a 2011 petition to legalize and regulate marijuana, said then that federal officials were concerned about the drug as it was "associated with addiction, respiratory disease and cognitive impairment."

Legalization advocates contend that the decades-old drug war in the United States has failed and compare laws against pot to the unsuccessful prohibition of alcohol from 1920 to 1933.

They say society would be better served if marijuana could be taxed and regulated. While no state currently allows recreational use of the drug, 17 states and the District of Columbia permit its use as medicine.
    this place could have been cool - now its just another revenue stream - peace out!

Ameri-canna
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3991 times
    RacerX's Open Letter to the Nine Former DEA Heads Urging Holder to Speak Out Against Pot Ballots:

Dear Sirs:

Fucking blow me.

Rx

Is it 420 Yet?
    Status
    Country
    Vietnam
    Liked
    822 times
    Lmiao
    The Great Spirit is in all things, he is in the air we breathe. The Great Spirit is our Father, but the Earth is our Mother. She nourishes us, that which we put into the ground she returns to us....

When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it. No taxes, no debt, women did all the work. White man thought he could improve on a system like this. -

Is it 420 Yet?
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3984 times
    Those old fucks need to keep their high class retired asses the fuck out of the political scene. They should be happy for the money they were and are I'm sure given that they didn't deserve, keep their mouth's shut and be thankful for the cards they were dealt. A bunch of horses asses

mal

After Co. and Wa. voted it legal I can't wait to see what Holder will do. I'd of loved to see the looks on those 9 old fucks face when they heard Co. and Wa. legalized it, probably looked like me when I heard Obama was reelected
    Last edited by mal; 02-28-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Ameri-canna
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3991 times
    You must spread some Karma around before giving it to mal again.

I tried...

Is it 420 Yet?
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3984 times
    It was the night me and Funkmonk went to Joe Banamassa and when we got back to the room from the concert we heard its Obama's. I probably frustrated the Funkster with my griping but Obama has crippled my best customers. When I visit usually there's nothing running in these coal fired power plants, they've all been labled surge plants to be used only in time of need or greed. I sound like I need a Wineeken and some french cries LMAO

Take care my friend
    mal

Status
    Liked
    1040 times
    you all know what Obama stands for right?

One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

seems less funny now he was re-elected

better then bush in some respects I guess - but that aint saying much

you dont get to be in a position to become the most powerful man in the world without shit tons people with their own agendas having their hands on your wallet so to speak

we need to get rid of the lobby and the political donations system in this country - especially the part where the supreme court deemed corporations have the same rights as individuals and can donate as much money to a campaign as they wish - or the mirier of shit will only continue to get thicker

that and a real third party - Id like to form the "Do what's right" party - who is with me?
    this place could have been cool - now its just another revenue stream - peace out!

Status
    Country
    Jamaica
    Liked
    833 times
    My favorite part is how it's legal in 17 states including D.C. Fucking hypocrites.

Obama administration drug czar Gil Kerlikowske, in response to a 2011 petition to legalize and regulate marijuana, said then that federal officials were concerned about the drug as it was "associated with addiction, respiratory disease and cognitive impairment."

Oh? You mean like cigarettes? Huh! Go figure on that one aye?
    Testing Alien Ballz Deep and Kats n Dogs for Sub Rosa

Is it 420 Yet?
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3984 times
    With the scrutiny on your background, lying to people that you have to do, and flip flopping they do the political arena is so full of assholes all you get is a bunch of shit. I like your 3rd party J but doing whats right sometimes has 2 sides and there is where these assholes come from. I think they need to install a lie detector test somewhere in the becoming a politician process. If you are caught lying about anything you are dismissed from being a politician and can never try again. Fuck in Chicago, where the black mamba comes from, there are motherfuckers that get out of jail and win the next race. I'm giving inmates a bad name here and I don't mean to but these are real evil lying corrupt mofo's that go right into office. I don't know the answer but it would be nice if the next crazy fuck with a few guns that decides to go rambo goes to washington DC to do his work. I'm not for that craziness but there they might get a few of the responsible mofo's, for whatever they are pissed about. There's my crazy ramblings

I hope all is well with you and yours

mal

Status
    Liked
    2448 times
    Professional liars, trying to co-opt another liar into continuing all their lies.

Pieces of shite - each and every one.

That Tandy woman's a real prize - I'd pay money to kick her square in the baby chute.

All anti weed zealots can suck it - we are out, we are gaining ground, and we WILL prevail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast