Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Keepin it simple
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    107 times
    LEDs
    After using a LED array for the last couple years I thought it would be a good time to share what I’ve learned. Many growers who have switched to LEDs end up frustrated and ultimately go back to HID or flouros. to get the results that they expected.
    (This shouldn’t happen!!!)

Not all arrays are the same.
    I’m not trying to suggest which array to buy, but instead create a basic guide to help you make an informed choice that will work for growing cannabis.

1) Unless your growing lettuce stay away from arrays using 1 watt bulbs. (Very limited light penetration thru or into the plant canopy.) (Not enough power to produce the bud density that we all look for.)
    This is just my opinion but as I’ve seen the results personally, look for an array that uses 3 watt bulbs with 90 deg. Lenses. These give you 2X the light penetration and are capable of producing large dense buds.

2) PAR is the light frequency’s that plants use during the different stages of growth.
    It’s sad to see many Mfg.’s use bulbs in their arrays that do little to nothing for our plants. (IE, yellow, orange, and white.)
    Action spect..jpg

3) Wattage and core light footprint needs to be planned for based on the size of your growing area.
    I use an array that allows my entire growing area to be within the core light footprint of the array.
    (IE, 3’ x 4’ floor of growing area // 4.5’ x 5.5’ core light footprint)

4) Heat is still a factor that needs to be dealt with. Although LED arrays operate at much lower temps than HID lighting the heat still needs to be exhausted from your grow area. The approx. operating temp of the array I use is 122 deg. F. That’s well above the temps we maintain for our plants to grow in, even with the use of Co2.

Bleaching of the leaves
    Bleaching of the leaves occurs when the array is too close to the canopy. It’s an easy fix though, just raise the array up. (As a special note: The leaves that were bleached will never turn back to the green color they were originally.)

After all it’s your choice!
    Since making the change to LEDs I’ve never had better grows than I do now and would never consider going back to HID.
    LED arrays are expensive so take the time to research the array you're interested in; it could end up being the difference between an awesome grow light and the frustration of having purchased an array that gives you poor results!!!

CIMG4559.jpg CIMG4573.jpg
    Last edited by solarcell; 01-29-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    Be safe and reap the rewards!!!

OG/TSD Refugee
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3189 times
    This is very interesting information thank you very much for your contribution Solarcell.
    Peace,
    Hippie
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." Hunter S. Thompson
    Overgrow Original | Sp3cialSt3v3420 | 2001 - 2006 | Overgrow The World
    TSD OG 2011-2013 | Hippie420 | Former Forums Manager

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Liked
    36 times
    Hell yea, Cant wait to buy my Blackstar 240w.

I hear the for best light its usppose to be 10" from the canopy, is this true? How high above your plants is your light panel usually?

Ny Og
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    62 times
    I swear if these led lights did not cost so much I would have one.. I might still try one when I get my income tax.

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wbwidow View Post
    I swear if these led lights did not cost so much I would have one.. I might still try one when I get my income tax.
    LIGHTHOUSE 240W Blackstar UV LED Grow Light 3w LED's 6 Band Flowering Hydroponic (609728346669) | eBay

280 with free shipping. For a panel I've seen have some good result, I'm def picking one up as soon as I got scrilla.

OG/TSD Refugee
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3189 times
    That's pretty decently priced for those kind of lights. But I know those LEDs are finicky for flower. Maybe solarcell can fill us in.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." Hunter S. Thompson

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Liked
    36 times

This is from a 120w spectra LED(pushing an equivalent to 180W) which is suppose to be on par with an 250w hid lamp.

Thats good enough for me to try it, and from all the reading and actual finished grows done moderately basic have great outcomes.

Ny Og
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    62 times
    That's looks nice.. But I think I'll have to grab 2. So I'll keep looking around and see what's the best option for under 500 bucks

Keepin it simple
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    107 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwag View Post
    Hell yea, Cant wait to buy my Blackstar 240w.

I hear the for best light its usppose to be 10" from the canopy, is this true? How high above your plants is your light panel usually?
    The mfg. of the array i use suggests 12" to 18" but I usally work between 8" and 12". This also also puts the grow area within the core light area of my array ( All of the led bulbs are 3 watt with 90 deg lenses ). The array that I use is a 740 watt Extreme flower from Advanced LED. ( $2000 + US ) This array preforms very well in flower and veg.

As far as the 240 watt BlackStar and the 120 watt Spectra, I've never used them.

Every mfg. uses a different ratio of light frequencys ( PAR ) in there arrays. For this reason alone unless your running a side by side comparison grow there's no way to tell which array is better.

The thing that turns me off about the BlackStar is the use of wht bulbs as a filler to reduce overall mfg. costs. This also decreases the % of usable light emmitted by the array.
    Last edited by solarcell; 02-02-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    Be safe and reap the rewards!!!

OG/TSD Refugee
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3189 times
    See I knew you did you research Solar man... Glad to see someone with some experience on the subject here. I know a little bit, but only that you need particular NM bulb or light frequencies as you said to actually get some real results.
    Peace,
    Hippie
    Last edited by hippie420; 02-02-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

ALL content is for informational and educational purposes only,
and intended for visitors 18 Years of age and Older!

Copyright ©2007-2019 WeedWatch.com Powered by Cannavelli Brands LLC. Sponsors | Link Partners   xhtml valid   Subscribe to Weed Watch Magazine's RSS Feed