Terms
Advertise   Support WW    Contact   
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mod
    Status
    Liked
    305 times
    Contributed by Hydro 5-18-2009

When choosing to try hydroponics it can be off putting to say the least.
    There are so many systems on the market these days but if your on a low budget its easy to make your own.

Starting in pots would be the cheapest way but by investing a little more you could get an nft system,giving you bigger yields and overall a better result.

Here we shall have a look at different systems and their advantages.

Its a good idea to take a tape measure and measure your area, tempting as it is to fill it up,ull need to get in around them to prune etc so bear in mind your grow space size.

AQUATRAYS or troughs.
    This is a favourite with some as it was a technique borrowed from the commercial horticulture scene 20-30 years ago,as hydro systems were in there infancy
    They are designed for 1m and 1.3 m slabs which usually comprise of rockwool or coco.
    Great results can be achieved in these inexpensive trays and are a great way to get started.
    Id say they are good for 3-5 plants depending on growing style etc.
    Most growers lay the slab in the tray and cut an x into the plastic for the plant ensuring not to uncover the medium as this can create havoc with your crop.
    In general its a no-no to let light hit your nutrient soloution as algea will form and create salt lock,and a bad infestation of bad bacteria and they will love your special mix of nutes.
    Rockwool is used as its got great drainage,the coco slabs come precut for your plants.
    Rockwool should be pre soaked in a 1/4 strenth solution at ph 5.5.Once established the plants should be kept at 5.8.In coco pre soak at 5.8 and maintain the ph at 6.
    Salt buildup is the biggest problem with this medium. Make sure you allow runoff and test it,if there is a big difference you need to flush the tray with either dilute solution or pure water.

The trough method is so simple and id advise all the soil growers out there to give it a try as it does'nt take up much space in the room.

If anyone has any questions regarding this or any other system feel free to ask on forum.

Next we shall be looking at one of the best selling systems the Aquafarm.

The aquafarm was invented in 75 by Lawrence Brooke,hailing from California.
    Its probably the most copied system ive seen.
    Its 45x45x45cm and takes 45 ltr's of water it works by pumping the nutrient solution through the drip ring then onto the clay pebbles.
    Its great for all sizes of plants and especially good for mothers.
    It can be used alone or connected to others for a bigger op.Ghe have a pump which can handle 6 to 8 at a time.
    I love this system as it allows relatively easy drainage and gives a perfect home for mothers.
    Bubbler buckets are a copy in essance.

There are so many systems on the market now,I guess flood and drain is up next.

Flood and drain can be employed on tray or in mutliflow pots either way the principle of periodically flooding the roots a few times a day with nutrients.
    Mutli or single pot systems can be made using drippers also.

NFT growing.
    In 79 the selfcontaining nft system was created for the hobbiests,the plants are kept happy with a continuous flow of nutrients from the rez its a very simple concept and works extremely well.
    Its important not to try and pack these systems as in nft,less is more.
    With topup systems available you can leave these systems for longer periods making them great for the experienced and novice.

Tier systems offer better use of vertical setups.
    These are quite expensive but are great as they make the best of the space provided.
    They can be made quite easily and hopefully I shall be able to post a diy link
    for all those diy folk.
    Areoponics is utilised in the tier systems were the roots are sprayed with a high powered mister,they can also be used with drippers.
    It needs a rez ofcourse the size depends on the amount of plants.
    Aeroponics is also a great way to root clones,as is a rubbermaid tub with airstone and lid,jeje.

I know I havent covered them all but at least its a start and will help people when they go to "get one",ill update this thread as time allows.
    Ill also add pic's,when needed.
    Hempy buckets are straight forward,bucktes,perlite(A mask should be worn when working with perlite),passive hydroponics will also be discussed as with no moving parts,simplicity in mind ofcourse.

Any comments,contributions,pics or any craic is welcomed!

All the best.

WEEDWATCH AEROPONICS GURU
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    146 times
    Glad to have a fellow water grower..respects bro
    WEEDWATCH'S AEROPONICS GURU AND SITE SUPPORTER.

“ In case you haven't noticed - which you haven't, 'cause from what I can tell, you don't notice anything ever - we are not very functional when we're high..”

Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    7 times
    Gardening with hydroponics is becoming a lifestyle for some city dwellers and those of limited land space systems alike.Hydroponic allow planting at high density while providing a well oxygenated root system. The plants are grown in pots sitting in a bin which is regularly inundated growth nutrient solution.

OG/TSD Refugee
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3189 times
    ...SIGH...
    ...FAIL!...

Hoping the mods can see this obvious bot in forums...
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." Hunter S. Thompson
    Overgrow Original | Sp3cialSt3v3420 | 2001 - 2006 | Overgrow The World
    TSD OG 2011-2013 | Hippie420 | Former Forums Manager

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    87 times
    i flagged several posts a couple of days ago. they are such a nuisance.

Village Idiot
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    2232 times
    I remember this Hydro posted this at SF years ago I wish he would of posted it,,much luv hydro u ------- .
    WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK!!!!! _Step Brothers

Status
    Liked
    2448 times
    I'm a ghetto cheap dwc fan. 11 litre rubbermaid tubs, 4" holes, 4" net pots, peat pellets or rockwool in hydroton filler. I can get 5 of those in a 2.5' x 3' space - 1 or more pots per tub. In my micro grow, I had up to 15 plants in 1 tub, but for flowering and full growth 1 or 2 is max per tub. 2 x 6" airstones per tub, the root growth is amazing.

I like the fast growth hydro gives, and only recently have bothered with such basic implements as an ec meter and ph meter. Used boiled tap water w/ aquarium treatment. I'm a fan of the K.I.S.S. method, simple is better for me. Basic store brand hydro nutes have worked just fine, but recently got some of X-Nutrients sample pack and will give their stuff a go.

Grown White Rhino, AK48, Skunk Special, Sour60, Northern Lights using this method in my micro cab(s), but dreaming of a bigger run this time. We'll see.

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Liked
    331 times
    Ive been growing with hydroponics for along time. Used quite a few different method, from stand alone dwc, to undercurrent, nft, ebb n flo, aero and drip. I currently run drip. I have an easy time keeping it in sync with my organic fertilizers and teas. I prefer the cleanliness of hydroponics over soil. I currently run age old organics grow, bloom, and kelp. Also use general organics cal mag, beneficial biologies sea grean, bat guano, earthworm castings, and beneficial bacterias. Am also testing technifloras pura vida grow and bloom.
    [Mary has just taken her first hit] Goodbye Mary Sunshine! Reefer has blown out her mind! She's now a hot-head hussy! (Reefer Madness)

Breeder
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    316 times
    i think you will like the pura vida. It ran very clean,with a nice sweet final product..curious to see how it rates against your teas and whatnot..reminded me of when I brewed.

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Liked
    331 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeLessBeans View Post
    i think you will like the pura vida. It ran very clean,with a nice sweet final product..curious to see how it rates against your teas and whatnot..reminded me of when I brewed.
    Already eliminated it. Horrible root development, and major pH swings. Would add to 7.6 water, and it'd drop to 4.1. Then bring it to 5.9, and 24 hrs later its at 7.4. Could probably premix it to stabilize it, but that defeats the purpose. Have to say age old grow, bloom, kelp, and humic 12 still kills it in hydro. Not sure if i got a bad batch, but ill stick with good ole age old. The trick for me with age old is use beneficial bacteria, use sea grean so you can feed high, and mix up some guano tea the last few weeks before flush, (timing depends on strain). I get a great yield, dense buds, and a great flavor everytime. Had heard the pura vida was supposed to be the best for flavor on og's. Curious to see if i got a contaminated batch, usually that much acid means some sort of rotting, that food is almost as hot as phdown, lol.
    [Mary has just taken her first hit] Goodbye Mary Sunshine! Reefer has blown out her mind! She's now a hot-head hussy! (Reefer Madness)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast