Advertise   Support WW    Contact   
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Solid.

Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    2032 times
    Mason jars are of course the stand by. I have been trying many things and my new favorite is using the "Food Saver" jars with a refrigeration vacuum pump. The deep vacuum forces the water to change state, so it cools the herb as it dries it. I've not done this too many times, so it's no science at this point. Fun though.

OG.Master.sToNeR
    Status
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by osprey View Post
    Mason jars are of course the stand by. I have been trying many things and my new favorite is using the "Food Saver" jars with a refrigeration vacuum pump. The deep vacuum forces the water to change state, so it cools the herb as it dries it. I've not done this too many times, so it's no science at this point. Fun though.
    I like the mason jar also. After hanging to dry and manicuring and finishing the drying in paper bags then I'll put into mason jar to finish the cure.

You can never give people good time tables for the dry/cure process because everyone's house or whatever is it's own micro-environment with it's own temperature and relative humidity max/min/cycles/lalalalala.

Could you imagine a 5 gallon mason jar filled with the funkiest Sour Diesel you've ever smelled. That would be amazing.
    And it's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there,
    Believe it if you need it, or leave it if you dare.

And it's just a box of rain, or a ribbon for your hair;
    Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Liked
    15 times
    high there...i totally agree that curing is individual thing and a personal preference. no science in the cultivation of marijuana...just trial and error....realizing each plant is a individual.

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    89 times
    is it best to air out the jars on a regular schedule? or would it be better to just air them out whenever they "look like they need some air"? also, is light and heat really a big killer?

Weed Watcher
    Out of the Blue & Teetering on the Point of No Return
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    1740 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaBiker View Post
    is it best to air out the jars on a regular schedule? or would it be better to just air them out whenever they "look like they need some air"? also, is light and heat really a big killer?

Yes air them out regularly , The more effort ya put into the proper cure the better the results . The Big thing ya wanna do is to let the Gasses as well as the extra moisture out . The Gas the buds create as they dry & cure can & will effect the final taste & quality .

When I burp the jars I like to tilt the jars & genitally blow some air into the jars for a few seconds hence causing the gasses & extra moisture to escape for that perfect cure . I start out several times a day & as the cure progresses the burps decrease to once a day & then every few days . The Key Factor is too make sure ya exchange the old air & gas in the curring jars as the curing & decomposing buds will create gas & that will effect the taste , quality & longevity of yer tasty buds , The gasses & moisture are a perfect environment fer mold & mildew growth .

The extra effort will reward ya well with great tasting & quality buds fer a long time . I currently have some Blowfish & Sour Diesel that I cured by this process from over a year ago & they still taste & preform as good as they did a year ago when 1st ready after the initial cure . A dark & cool storage environment is best for that Long Term jar storage for that fresh from the farm taste . One thing I learned the hard way is do Not use those 1 piece Plastic canning jar tops as they don't seal completely & will surely feck up yer buds .

So all & all take the extra time & do er rite & you'll be happy with long term quality bud storage . Good Luck ,,,
    Póg mo bán Irish thóin !

Is gairid ár gcairt ar an saol seo ,,,

Sláinte !

"This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
    Sigmund Freud about the Irish

Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.
    George Carlin

Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    16 times
    I follow this method posted by Stoned4daze61:

Burp the jars when you see moisture forming on the jar. If you can go buy a hygrometer that will help with drying your buds correctly. That way you can monitor the RH inside the jar, if it increases several % an hour, you want to burp them for an hour or two, this can be done with the lid off, or you can put it in a brown paper bag for a more even dry. A 3 week cure is good, month or more is optimal. Heres some more info to help with RH levels if you buy a hygrometer.

Cut the product, trim it per your preference, but don't dry it until the stems snap. Take it down while the stems still have some flex, but the product feel dry on the outside. This is a perfect opportunity to drop the dry-feeling flowers onto a screen and collect prime-quality kief that would otherwise get lost in the jar.

Jar the product, along with a Caliber III hygrometer. One can be had on Ebay for ~$20. Having tested a number of hygrometers - digital and analog - this model in particular produced consistent, accurate results. Then, watch the readings:

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.

65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.

60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing.

55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet. If you measure a RH below 55% don't panic. Read below:

Obviously, the product need time to sweat in the jar. As such, accurate readings won't be seen for ~24 hours, assuming the flowers are in the optimal cure zone. If you're curing the product for long-term storage, give the flowers 4-5 days for an accurate reading. If the product is sill very wet, a +70% RH reading will show within hours. If you see the RH rising ~1% per hour, keep a close eye on the product, as it's likely too moist.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OG/TSD Refugee
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3189 times
    I need to get me one of those monitors!
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." Hunter S. Thompson
    Overgrow Original | Sp3cialSt3v3420 | 2001 - 2006 | Overgrow The World
    TSD OG 2011-2013 | Hippie420 | Former Forums Manager

uncleelroy
    I know I have waited too long to burp a jar when unscrewed,it shoots the inner lid off and the noise scares the shit out of me

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    237 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HipsterDoofus View Post
    I follow this method posted by Stoned4daze61:
    I follow this same method, it takes all the question out of the cure. It is actually copied and pasted from Dankhouse's website. The actual link is below.

Dank-House

You may have to be signed in to view it.

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    388 times
    I guess I post a lot of stuff written and done by subfool (I have a funny opinion on the dude, but he does fantastic work)....

This is taken from ' ~The Final Stage~ Harvesting and Curing by MzJill' . (google it if you want the whole article)

I find Subs methods to often be super simple, but very very effective.

"We like to leave the buds on the stems and hang on a string or hanger of some sort. It is best to dry the buds in a place that allows for indirect lighting and also adequate air circulation. A fan is good to have in the room, but not to be directly pointed at the hanging buds. Allow the buds to dry until they are crisp on the outside and the stems will still be pliable, since the stems contain so much residual moisture it is best at this time to remove the buds from the stems and place in a large bowl, on a screen or a tray. In our climate the hanging time is about five days, but the drying time will vary due to humidity. We like the buds to dry slowly as this makes for a smoother cure, rather than drying the buds too quickly. When buds are allowed to dry slowly the humidity is closer to that of the inside of the stomata. If cannabis is dried to rapidly, the ‘green’ taste will remain present in the finished product. According to the time of year, the temperature and the type of heat in your home humidity, airflow, and the density of your buds; drying time can vary from five days to ten days.

Cannabis will continue to cure after it is harvested, while it is drying and even after it is placed into a jar. Just like a fine wine or a gourmet coffee bean, marijuana needs to be cured to achieve the rich, robust, smooth taste that lingers on your palette and in your brain. During the curing period the cannabinoid acids go through the process of decarboxylation into the psychoactive cannabinoids and the terpenes will isomerize to create new polyterpenes. Just as with any other fruit, when cannabis is harvested, the fruit or bud is not dead, it continues to metabolize. If you pick a tomato from your garden and it is still partially green, you would set it in the windowsill to further ripen or metabolize. Another example is a fresh banana, it may still show green on the peel and the fruit inside is hard and the taste is milder, as the banana ages the peel will turn darker yellow and the fruit inside will become softer and have a more rich flavor. The more robust flavors and tantalizing fragrances begin to appear as the chlorophyll and other pigments begin to break down.

When the small stems, which remain under the buds, are completely dry enough to snap and the buds are dry enough to smoke, it is time to start the end curing process. We use glass-canning jars, such as Mason, Ball or Kerr, to cure and store our finished product. Freezer bags can also be used for storage of cannabis. Do not store your cannabis in sandwich bags or anything made of a similar plastic, because the cannabis will become to dry and it will lose potency. It is important to open the jars to allow in oxygen that is needed for the curing process, and to allow gases built up from the curing process to escape. During the first three days we open the jars once a day. After the first three days, for two weeks open your jars twice a week, then one time after the first month; at which time the cure will be complete. Make sure your cannabis is completely dry before leaving it in sealed jars or containers. Leaving wet cannabis in any sealed jar or container will result in mold, and it will become unsafe to smoke.

Store your jarred, cured cannabis in a cool dark place, to help slow the break down of the cannabinoids. Although cannabis needs oxygen through the metabolizing/curing stage, oxygen plays an adverse roll on already cured cannabis causing the breakdown of THC into CBN. We store our marijuana in canning jars with lids on tight, inside of a cool dark closet.

Implementation of the simple steps listed above will make your dank a legend amongst your friends. "
    Roll me up and smoke me when I die

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast