Terms
Advertise   Support WW    Contact   
    Weed Watcher
    Status
    Liked
    15 times

Bill Introduced in Maryland Would Decriminalize Marijuana

Posted on Feb 11, 2011 at 2:37 am

A new bill was introduced in the Maryland House on February 8th 2011 that would decriminalize marijuana in Maryland. The proposed Bill 606 would reduce the penalty for the possession of less than 28.5 grams of marijuana to a civil citation, and a fine of one hundred dollars.

Maryland House 300x225 Bill Introduced in Maryland Would Decriminalize Marijuana

The bill was sponsored by delegates Delegate Curt Anderson, District 43, Delegate Tiffany T. Alston, District 24, Delegate Talmadge Branch, District 45, Delegate Aisha N. Braveboy, District 25 ,Delegate Alfred C. Carr, Jr., District 18, Delegate Frank M. Conaway, Jr., District 40, Delegate Kathleen M. Dumais, District 15, Delegate Cheryl D. Glenn, District 45, Delegate Ana Sol Gutierrez, District 18, Delegate Anne R. Kaiser, District 14, Delegate Maggie McIntosh, District 43, Delegate Keiffer J. Mitchell, Jr., District 44, Delegate Shirley Nathan-Pulliam, District 10, Delegate Doyle L. Niemann, District 47, Delegate Nathaniel T. Oaks, District 41, Delegate Samuel I. Rosenberg, District 41, Delegate Justin D. Ross, District 22, Delegate Michael D. Smigiel, Sr., District 36, Delegate Veronica Turner, District 26, Delegate Jeff Waldstreicher, District 18, Delegate Mary L. Washington, District 43.

(READ ABOUT IT HERE) Bill Introduced in Maryland Would Decriminalize Marijuana | The Weed Street Journal

It is critical that every Maryland citizen contacts their elected official and voices their support for this bill. Using MD Elect you can find your local representative and their contact information.

Maryland Election Districts - Interactive Map

RALLY THE TROOPS, CALL OFF THE DOGS, LETS WORK THIS ONE UNTIL THE JOB IS DONE, AND FREEDOM RINGS IT'S BELL IN THE FREESTATE ONCE AGAIN!

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Liked
    18 times
    THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!
    For those of you not aware, there is a medical marijuana bill also on the table in MAryland (see the thread under "ACTIVISM).
    THE MARYLAND MEDICAL MARIJUANA BILL IS ATROCIOUS.
    PLEASE: do as suggested above- and have your friends do so as well. While you are at it, voice your OPPOSITION to the medical bill.
    IT IS VITALLY IMPORTANT THAT WE DO SO- THE TIME IS NIGH!
    RastaVacations.com
    Marijuana-Friendly vacations to wonderful destinations. We hook you UP!

Anam Cara
    Status
    Country
    Ireland
    Liked
    120 times
    Decriminalization is a small but important first step .. we've had a similar law here in MA since 2008, and the sky didn't fall .. makes it a lot more comfortable when carrying small amounts ...

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Liked
    15 times
    Total opposition may help feed this...

MD: As dangers become clear, states shy away from medical marijuana - Marijuana.com

UNLESS there is an alternative bill TO PASS THIS SESSION - then I'll take this bill, now... even with the serious flaws - and then hope we can change it as we go - otherwise, we may get no bill at all here in Maryland. If the former Drug Czar has his way... that'll be the way it goes - Infulential Opposition I Growing Daily - remember, we're still just "pot heads" in the minds of many ...

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Liked
    15 times
    Total opposition may help feed thoughts like this ...

MD: As dangers become clear, states shy away from medical marijuana - Marijuana.com

UNLESS there is an alternative bill to PASS THIS SESSION - then I'll take this bill now... even with all of the serious flaws in it - and then hope that we can change it as we go - otherwise, we may get no bill at all here in Maryland. If the former Drug Czar has his way... that will be the way it goes down - Influential Opposition is Growing Daily - remember, we're still just "pot heads" in the minds of many ... especially in the narrow minds such as the mind of former Drug Czar, and the people that he can influence as well!

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Liked
    15 times
    Darn tokin! ... $100 is much cheaper than a lawyer would charge you, even if you walked... way ahead there. Plus, it may help get a Medical Law get passed (good, bad, or in-between...) just by it's very presence on the table

Anam Cara
    Status
    Country
    Ireland
    Liked
    120 times
    Don't know about other states .. but the biggest political roadblock to Medical MJ at the state level are dispensaries ... lots of people are sympathetic to medical patients, but not many want a pot store in their neighborhood .. and the dispensaries make for easy fear-based politiacl ads ...

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Liked
    15 times
    Maryland isn't going to have any private run dispenseries, if them have any at all. Everything would be state run. That's just one of the many pitfalls with the current legislation being considered. They "think" that they can have distribution through phramacies and that will only impead any medicine actually getting to the patients that need the medicine. A paper bill such as that is all but worthless if nobody can get the medicine. So there is more work to be done before they pass "any"thing this year - There's no question that the feds won't allow a pharmacy distribution, and a pharmacy isn't going to risk it all over this so they just won't be able to do it that way. And, Maryland doesn't appear to be giving in at all to the idea of homegrown medicine which would be the best approach for many reasons inclding, patient privacy, availability, and the correct medicine (strain) for individual patient needs. It's not a one strain works for everyone/condition medicine - certain strains work for certain conditions and the wong strain may not only not be effective in the desired effect - it could make the condition much worse by using it.

It's a complex issue when you want to control all of the aspects as Marylnd wants to do - my gut feeling is we'll end up with another year of disappointment here. And I can't take that myself, 3 years of increasing doses of opiates is taking it's toll, physically as well as mentally - I feel like a car that needs a tune-up. I get going, running along fine... then, start to sputter - thoughts get crossed up, physical motions delayed or nonresponsive, awake when I ned to sleep, an sleepingwhen I should be wake. Adding MMJ to my regiment would increase the opiates effect, while reducing my tolernace and to the contrary of what studies may try to imply, I personally am much more focused and direct in my thoughts and I am more motivated when using it. Recent studies also have shown that using in combination with opiates also reduces the leftover toxins and ingredients in Marijuana also block Opiate Dependence. For someone like me that been on them for 3+ years with permanent never damage and likely to always be on something for pain, it's the best medicine available so I need this law, as weak and problem ridden as it is. Some people are fighting for the fight itself, and I am with them on that too, but I do have a personal battle to fight here as well and with time not on my side, I'll take this bill if it gets passed and hope for changes to come to improve on it.

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Liked
    15 times
    Maryland isn't going to have any private run dispenseries, if them have any at all. Everything would be state run. That's just one of the many pitfalls with the current legislation being considered. They "think" that they can have distribution through pharmacies and that will only impead any medicine actually getting to the patients that need the medicine. A paper bill such as that is all but worthless if nobody can get the medicine. So there is more work to be done before they pass "any"thing this year - There's no question that the feds won't allow a pharmacy distribution, and a pharmacy isn't going to risk it all over this so they just won't be able to do it that way. And, Maryland doesn't appear to be giving in at all to the idea of homegrown medicine which would be the best approach for many reasons including, patient privacy, availability, and the correct medicine (strain) for individual patient needs. It's not a one strain works for everyone/condition medicine - certain strains work for certain conditions and the wong strain may not only not be effective in the desired effect - it could make the condition much worse by using it.

It's a complex issue when you want to control all of the aspects as Marylnd wants to do - my gut feeling is we'll end up with another year of disappointment here. And I can't take that myself, 3 years of increasing doses of opiates is taking it's toll, physically as well as mentally - I feel like a car that needs a tune-up. I get going, running along fine... then, start to sputter - thoughts get crossed up, physical motions delayed or non-responsive, awake when I need to sleep, and sleeping when I should be wake. Adding MMJ to my regiment would increase the opiates effect, while reducing my tolerance and to the contrary of what studies may try to imply, I personally am much more focused and direct in my thoughts and I am more motivated when using it.

Recent studies also have shown that using in combination with opiates also reduces the amount of opiate needed for same effect, and ingredients in Marijuana also block Opiate Dependence. For someone like me that been on them for 3+ years with permanent nerve damage and likely to always be on something for pain, it's the best medicine available so I need this law, as weak and problem ridden as it is. Some people are fighting for the fight itself, and I am with them on that too, but I do have a personal battle to fight here as well and with time not on my side, I'll take this bill if it gets passed and hope for changes to come to improve on it.

More Plants, Less Pills – Why The Re-Introduction of Cannabis Into U.S. Pharmacopeia Means for Everyone
    http://www.medicalmarijuana411.com/2...-for-everyone/

Marijuana Ingredient Reduces Opiate Dependence
    http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=792
    Last edited by MD4MM2; 02-12-2011 at 06:38 PM.