Terms
Advertise   Support WW    Contact   
    OG/TSD Refugee
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3189 times
    Again as with many of my post in the DIY section this isn't my personal design or build, but a very good resource that I hope you all enjoy.

Author:KingRalph of ICMag

just a sec, this is gonna require a bowl...

ah lovely, all ready to go, are you? whether it be because you're sick of poor results or slowness or humidity domes, or because you wanna start the right way the first time, i understand your need for roots, so here is a simple step-by-step guide to building what is known as an Aero Cloner and been popularized as the expensive EZ-Cloner.

Parts List:

350GPH Danner Supreme Mag-Drive Utility Pump Model 3 (Model 5 500GPH for larger units)

35x 2inch Neoprene Insert Collars (only 50cents a pop in the 35x bag

12x Aeroponic Misters (EZ-Cloner replacement sprayers, Mister 320 etc)

1x Rubbermaid Roughneck 31gal Tub or equivalent

Schedule 40 PVC
    1x 1/2" Pipe in length
    1x 1/2" Female Connector
    4x 1/2" Elbows
    3x 1/2" Tees

TOOLS

Drill
    2" Holesaw
    11/32 Drill Bit (or 10/32 tap)
    Glue Gun + Glue (or 2" netpots)
    Composite Hacksaw (something to cut PVC)

Have you pulled these things out of your back pocket yet? Vundeba, let's begin constructing...

1. Screw the 1/2" Female PVC onto the pump output...

2. Cut PVC pipe for a length that ends up at least 6" below the top of the tub. Remember, you can always cut more off later, so don't cut too short. Clean all ends of plastic, and stick the pipe in the pump's fitting.

3. Stick 1/2" Tee on the pipe...
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." Hunter S. Thompson
    Overgrow Original | Sp3cialSt3v3420 | 2001 - 2006 | Overgrow The World
    TSD OG 2011-2013 | Hippie420 | Former Forums Manager

OG/TSD Refugee
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3189 times
    4. Cut 2 equal lengths to go the long distance of the tub...

5. Put the 2 last Tees on the ends...

6. Cut 4 equal length short pieces and stick in Tees after cleaned...

7. Attach the 4 elbows...
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." Hunter S. Thompson

OG/TSD Refugee
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3189 times
    8. Measure and Cut 2 more equal length pieces to fit your rectangle, clean, and check to see how your barebones fits together...

9. Now take apart the PVC and with an 11/32 drill bit (or 10/32 tap) drill holes for the sprayers in the pipes, and screw in the misters. sealing these isn't really necessary, also your pvc should fit together tightly enough not to need sealing either.

As you can see that 18gal tub was a bit small, so i got the 31gal with plenty of space. Longer PVC, more misters, and a bigger pump and tub will allow you a bigger cloner, simple as that, design remains the same...

10. The Lid... drill the 2" holes you need. Clean the stray plastic off the holes without enlarging them, do no cut the plastic further yknow. Here you can either drop in 2" netpots, or what i had to do on some is to hot glue around the outside of the hole so the neoprene collars stuck in nicely, no netpot to fall in or for roots to get tangled in, or to buy note: experience has shown users to cut the bottom half of netpots off so roots are not damaged on removal...

OG/TSD Refugee
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3189 times
    Voila!

keep an eye on temps, they should be 68-78, 75F optimal. the pump keeps my temps perfect, but i suppose if it gets cold an aquarium heater would just be needed... but this...

means this...

you can see net pot or not makes no difference... and really temps are not a worry like in bubblecloning ugh... just ease here... warmer temps at the start n cooler temps after roots show is optimal, but any in the range will get ya success, and the pump should put the temp in a perfect spot!

i truly hope this saves folks the money that ez-cloners would steal from them, or makes roots possible, or both, just know that you can always do it yourself. peace n green thumbs all.

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Liked
    134 times
    I have something similar but not as grand that works well for my small medical & test garden.

I posted this pic in another thread of the cloner in action:

I just transplanted that one last night and cleaned out the cloner; so I took some innards photos for you.

I used a 396 gph submersible pump in mine with a 3" long x 1/2" plastic pipe thread riser to connect the pump to a 3/4 slip x 3/4 slip x 1/2 female pipe thread 'tee' fitting which is the base for the pvc manifold. (The riser was from Home Depot from the lawn sprinkler section)

The pvc manifold consists of several short, and close, lenghts of 3/4" pvc pipe connected to the base tee via two 3/4 x 3/4 x 3/4 slip tees and four 3/4 x 3/4 slip elbows.

I used plastic 'wire wrap' to attach the electrical cord to the side of the manifold for ease and stability.
    Plastic zip ties would work as well.

The lid with the holes in it is the hardest to construct: if you look at the above tutorial you see neoprenes glued in with silicone at spots.

The reason for this is it's almost impossible to buy a 1-7/8" hole augur unless you buy the adjustable one for booku denero.

So you have a couple choices and none of them are simple.
    You could take an old weed grinder and a piece of 2 x 4 lumber and keep whacking it with a hammer where you want the holes.
    It might make pretty circles you can follow with a utility knife. hehe.

You could grind a 1-1/2" PVC pipe sharp from the inner diameter and hammer that into the lid because they are 1-7/8" on the od.
    I ended up drawing circles around a pipe and cutting with utility knife by scoring several times for each circle.

Whatever you do - do NOT drill 2" holes into your lid or your neoprenes will fall out.
    You want at least 1-3/4" and optimal is 1-7/8".

Here in the first image you can see two buckets, and other associated parts:
    5-gal-cloner-01.jpg

Next I give you a close-up of the pump attached to the manifold:
    5-gal-cloner-02.jpg

Here you can see how I pass the electrical cord through the lid with the pump mounted to the bottom of 5-gallon bucket.
    It has suction cup feet; so you just stick it down in there near the middle:
    5-gal-cloner-03.jpg

Assembly with the lid mounted and the power cord routed through lid.
    Notice also the 1/2 plastic tube with 'reamed' out neoprene to hold it.
    This tube, in conjuction with the little 1/16" holes located on the inside edge of the top of the lid,
    are used to passively exchange air for the cloner:
    5-gal-cloner-04.jpg

And finally we have the assembled unit placed inside an empty 6-gallon bucket.
    You can use another 5-gallon - I used a 6-gallon because I had it and it boosted
    the cloners height to where I wanted it for the light:
    5-gal-cloner-05.jpg

I fill the cloner with tap water, (no pH adjustment and no nutes), to just below the e-z cloner jets on the manifold.
    Insert clone 2 or 3 inches into the neoprene after 'dressing' it, and plug in.
    I like to put a piece of duct tape with the clone name on it on the side of the bucket closest to the clones location up top.
    This helps me keep track of what's what in there, and because I put the date on my tags, I know how long a clone has been in the unit.

You can literally plug this thing in and come back in two weeks and you will be ready to go.
    Or you can check it after a week or so and possibly transplant earlier.

I had an air pump running into mine; but it didn't seem to make any difference and I didn't like the noise so I got rid of it.
    If you do use an air pump get a cheap aquarium job with a 6" long airstone, and just ziptie it down near the bottom so it releases air under water.

I think I got $40 into my cloner.

Oh yeah - One more thing about the second bucket: this stabilizes the water tempurature and the air space created between the cloner and the floor insulates nicely. I get same results with mine sitting on concrete floor in Winter and Summer with indoor temps from 63*F to 90* +.
    Last edited by FatMarty; 03-27-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Weed Watcher
    Out of the Blue & Teetering on the Point of No Return
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    1740 times
    Thanks Marty fer the DIY Cloner , Brilliant ,,,
    Póg mo bán Irish thóin !

Is gairid ár gcairt ar an saol seo ,,,

Sláinte !

"This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
    Sigmund Freud about the Irish

Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.
    George Carlin

DickHead#2
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    90 times
    one thing to remember when selecting the tub for this kind of project is the way the lid mounts onto the tub. I have made a few cloners and the one thing was for sure is it would leak from where the lid and the tub come together. the lid fits OVER the tub witch in turn lets the water seep along the lid and out the tub. the bucket looked to be a great idea as the lid seals onto the bucket

just my 2 cents
    "The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which CANNOT be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this." Albert Einstein

Solid.

Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    2032 times
    It's the little things that make a difference. Knowing that the spay will drip out if the lid is of a certain type, voice of experience I take it?
    Anything you want, anything at all, come to me. I'll be your guardian angel. . . - Juno Reactor

Jetwaterpipes.com

pyptek.com

My Grow

DickHead#2
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    90 times
    just a lil

I did go out and get a real E Z Cloner and the lid fits into the base of the unit. as long as I dont over fill it NO LEAKS
    "The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which CANNOT be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this." Albert Einstein

Solid.

Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    2032 times
    Home brew is awesome but sometimes the factory units just perform better. Ya gotta figure they pay those guys for something.
    Anything you want, anything at all, come to me. I'll be your guardian angel. . . - Juno Reactor

Jetwaterpipes.com

pyptek.com

My Grow

ALL content is for informational and educational purposes only,
and intended for visitors 18 Years of age and Older!

Copyright ©2007-2019 WeedWatch.com Powered by Cannavelli Brands LLC. Sponsors | Link Partners   xhtml valid   Subscribe to Weed Watch Magazine's RSS Feed