Thread: Project Durban

Breeder
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    1541 times
    Well put N8tive. 100% spot on right.

If anyone has old African Seeds CP or Afropips DP get at me!

Breeder
    Status
    Country
    UK
    Liked
    52 times
    I had to bring the durban crop indoors last december and they didn't like it 1 bit but i managed to get 200 odd seeds from the 1 female and 3 males but the fem died pretty much 3 weeks after bringing her indoors but i got a few cuttings from her before she flowered and here's a few pics of the indoor grown durban poison........pics 1,2 and 4 are the same plant and 3 is a few weeks behind,both from the same mother plant,the smell from them at the mo is peppery/pine with a slight anise smell.
    Durban poison P1 fem bud 2 week 6.jpgDurban poison P1 fem bud week 6.jpgDurban poison P1 fem plant week 3.jpgDurban poison P1 fem plant week 6.jpg
    Plant a seed
    &
    Free the weed

Status
    Country
    England
    Liked
    54 times
    Hi All .. Mayb i can help ,, Our true Durban Poison dissapeared about 40 yrs ago with the influx of trade etc in the 60/70's ! It was well documented that since 99% of DP has been tainted by our other landrace strains and also some exotics bought in during trades ..The true traits of the DP if we go back to those who grew it before the 70/80's were small tight buds that had a tendancy to purple close to end of cycle..Our DP now has a very green peppery but very sweet smell and taste it is spicy but earthy too ! The aniseed flavour found in some DP stems from the Transkie the next province down from Natal which is actually very close but holds an entirely different strain to the DP that comes out of Natal ,, The transkie is by a long way our most favorite smoke as it grows much bigger and the perfume / incense flavour is second to none with a massive wallop of a head high " .. and its this which has found its way into most of our DP and is responsible for said aniseed flavour.. Now the closest we have available to the original DP is even hard to find and if you dont go through the few local farmers who have been growing this with local knowledge by the family and passed down acordingly its a very muted DP you'l end up with..most other Durban seed we now term Pondo as its heritage is unknown and its flavour is a combo of a few bits..The closest weve left to the original DP has a very small light green coloured buds sweet and peppery allways full of seed but lethel as a psychoactive pot ! and would not finish flowering in less than 15 weeks..Recently a friend of mine went to visit one of the older farmers that we used to see some 15-20yrs ago when he was back home and although he did get a bag full "he said there reaction was far from favourable ..so getn hands on is not as easy as it was ,, its a commodity they know it as do we despite us knowing them for many years -and he was told never to come back i think for sake of security rather than misstrust but that said without this attitude these locals would be growing the same crap as the next man !

Breeder
    Status
    Country
    UK
    Liked
    52 times
    Nick your probably right with what you've just said but african seeds DP are about as close as i can get to the real durban without having to travel to south africa myself.I've got a few of there varieties,including the transki,swazi root bart & malawi gold(which is 50% of malonica).
    The durban is more peppery sweet then anise but there is a slight anise twang to it,but that dissapears once cured leaving a slightly sweet peppery pine,sandlewood flavour/scent which is similar to other tropical sativas like colombian gold but milder and sweeter in the smell department.
    Plant a seed
    &
    Free the weed

Breeder
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    1541 times
    nice marijuanamat - very nice grow of it. Didin't you do a trainwreck line some years ago?

Status
    Country
    Ireland
    Liked
    626 times
    Durban is one of the first strains I grew. Very creamy, licorice flavor w a touch of spice. Colorado is big on durban, and their are old cuts floating around of it. I just smoked some not too long ago. The gsc was made from one of those durbans too Good luck with the project mate.

Site Supporter

Status
    Liked
    434 times
    Durban Poison was one of the strains we grew out from the original seed bank.

I remember thinking it tasted of blood and fruit. That would be the best way I could describe the flavor. The blood flavor might be anise or licorice tastes some refer to, I don't know for sure.

Is it 420 Yet?
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3984 times
    You may be drinking too much Ouzo if your blood tastes like anise or black licorice LMAO

Just kidding, I hope all is well with you and yours

mal

Breeder
    Status
    Country
    UK
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthewriot View Post
    nice marijuanamat - very nice grow of it. Didin't you do a trainwreck line some years ago?
    Yes mat thats right,i've still got plans for that but i'm working on locking down a few traits in my lemon stinky line first , hopefully they should be alittle more stable with the potant dank fecal rancid lemon pheno being the end goal.I'm running aload of the BX1's at the mo.

Back to the durban.......I've just started 25 from the first incross i did last season and every one poped and sprouted nicely so they'll be interesting to see what jems i can find in em as i'm not to happy with the trichome production on the mother,don't get me wrong there covered but there small with hardly any stem,which i've seen happen with many landrace vars grown indoors .
    Plant a seed
    &
    Free the weed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123