Weed Watcher
    Out of the Blue & Teetering on the Point of No Return
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    1740 times
    Marijuana Extract Fights Muscle Stiffness In MS Patients

Marijuana extracts, taken orally, significant reduce muscle stiffness, pain and spasticity in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS), according to new clinical trial data published in the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry.
    Scientists at the University of Plymouth in the U.K. looked at the medicinal use of cannabinoids compared to a placebo in 279 patients with MS over a 12-week period, reports NORML. Cannabis extracts used in the study contained standardized amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and non-psychoactive cannabidiol (CBD), two of the major medicinal cannabinoids in the plant.

The orally administered marijuana extracts were "superior" over a placebo in the treatment of MS-associated muscle stiffness and pain, investigators reported.

"Treatment with standardized oral extract of cannabis sativa relieved muscle stiffness," the authors concluded. "The proportion of participants experiencing relief was almost twice as large in the cannabis extract group as in the placebo group."

"Effective pain relief is also achieved by cannabis extracts, especially in patients with a high baseline score," the investigators reported. "Our findings suggest that standardized cannabis extracts can be clinically useful in treating the highly complex phenomenon of spasticity in MS."

The study's results provided back-up for clinical trial data from the University of California San Diego, published in the Journal of the Canadian Medical Association, which in May reported that cannabis inhalation significantly reduces spasticity and pain in patients with treatment-resistant multiple sclerosis.

Several clinical trials looking at the effectiveness of oral cannabis extracts on MS patients have indicated that cannabinoids can not only relieve symptoms of the the disease, but may also act in ways the slow the progression of the disease.

Sativex, an oral spray from GW Pharmaceutical which contains the cannabinoids THC and CBD in a one-to-one ratio, is already legal for prescription to MS patients in more than a dozen countries, including Canada, Great Britain, New Zealand, Germany and Spain.

However, for apparently political (as opposed to medical) reasons, the National MS Society of the United States seems to have little enthusiasm for marijuana in treating MS, issuing borderline-misleading statements like "Studies completed thus far have not provided convincing evidence that marijuana or its derivatives provide substantiated benefits for symptoms of MS."
    Póg mo bán Irish thóin !

Is gairid ár gcairt ar an saol seo ,,,

Sláinte !

"This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
    Sigmund Freud about the Irish

Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.
    George Carlin

frequent inhaler
    Status
    Liked
    1658 times
    I can't really speak to the MS specific side of the spacticity issue but their and mine spacticity both respond positively to canna. without looking them up I'd suspect the MS society is more concerned with not killing whatever golden goose lays their egg$$ than solid study after study results

Status
    Liked
    17 times
    Medical marijuana has shown promising results for treating the symptoms of MS and spinal cord injury. Though there are conventional medications available for these symptoms, at times they don't work properly. Patients using medical marijuana for reducing muscle spasticity and pain have found substantial relief rather.

Village Idiot
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    2232 times
    Their pharmacology does very lil for my pain. i must say that herb does help make my legs feel more stable & make me feel more comfortable talking.
    I know I hate THESE FUCKING PILLS.
    WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK!!!!! _Step Brothers