Advertise   Support WW    Contact   
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Ameri-canna
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3991 times
    I suspect some of the most frequent questions posed to cannabis propagators relate to, "How do you choose a male for pollen? How do you know what traits a male will pass?" This thread is THE place to answer those burning questions once and for all: If you ever get asked these questions again, y'all can just point to this thread!

How DO you propagators choose your males? Prayer and hope? Rolling bones? Draft? Merit? Controlled experimental grows? Reversal? Put us some knowledge!

Weed Watcher
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    13943 times
    Nice, racer you know this is not my game, so Im going to ride the pine on this one and take notes. Still would like to know the do's and don'ts funk on
    Funk Monk

Ameri-canna
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3991 times
    I'm hoping Crom and Tre and Riot and moio and a bunch of the rest of our regulars with some knowledge (please forgive me if I omitted your name) will step up and give a little insight into what they do.

Pollen ChuckR
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3856 times
    I look for the qualities that I like in females, in my males.. Like nice branching, certain heights, strong smell, sometimes certain smells, visible trichs, greasy feel to the stem rub,.. to start. Also depends if I wanna bring some indica influence to a sativa dom plant or vice versa and indica to indica or vice versa.. Or if I wanna bring in some coloring..
    SUB ROSA GARDENS

Sub Rosa Gardens

Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    4045 times
    There are much better, more pualified peeps to answer this, but this is my method....

I like to start my search with f³ at the lowest if possible use IBL. It helps me find donors at low Plant count.
    If that is unrealistic or unavailable here are my criteria. The order will change depending on treat desired. And there maybe other criteria I have overlooked in keeping it short.
    *With the help of pictures, breeders, grow logs, past experience with a strain- Find the closest representation of the strain from as many seeds as you can afford, both monetarily and legally.
    I then select from possible donors by 'density' of a trait or traits desired. For Instance I will not usually choose a male just for smell alone because this will lead to too many undesirable traits, and too many phenotypes to choose from.
    More later...
    Vince Semilla AKA The Baked Crusader
    SUBROSAGARDENS

Ameri-canna
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3991 times
    I then select from possible donors by 'density' of a trait or traits desired.
    Like "trait clusters"... Do you mean, you assess the potential of what traits might be passed, or are you assessing what traits most frequently are passed in fact?

usually at your moms but if not jacksbeanstock
    Status
    Country
    Jamaica
    Liked
    1414 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    I suspect some of the most frequent questions posed to cannabis propagators relate to, "How do you choose a male for pollen? How do you know what traits a male will pass?" This thread is THE place to answer those burning questions once and for all: If you ever get asked these questions again, y'all can just point to this thread!

How DO you propagators choose your males? Prayer and hope? Rolling bones? Draft? Merit? Controlled experimental grows? Reversal? Put us some knowledge!

BOOOOOOOO he he he he he how dare one speak a da moio like he has any clue what the fuck he is doing!

Nah I'm with holmes man I like a male that breaks my heart cuz i was certain it was gonna be a bad ass female....I like strong healthy early easy to grow virile males that dominate some competitors side by side n have a bud n growth profile similar to ideally what i want in that female I'm breeding for...then once I see all that I smell for the stank stank funky strong maleness smell that it takes a special nose to know....I got a wild irish sense of smell n smell crazy shit....my mom could smell ya open your sack a weed up stairs when yo were downstairs in the bathroom ya opened it...no shit.....in nature too a wild herb fields got a nutty hormonal war happenin holmes n genetically the baddest stud get tallest to spread his nut over the most area best n dumps his load the fastest....this aint bullet proof though cuz any herbs bred dominant too long turns back too rope but likewise we have bred weed for potentcy only imho too long n now a lot a killer weed is super duper weak in finicky n doesn't yield.......

Theres no one secret to finding the master dude....it helps to keep male cuts if ya can cuz with lots a trial n error n the faithful work of testers when ya do find the winner its awesome to make a ton of it imo....everyone does so much about herbs different though in I think thats neat too......
    Last edited by moio; 09-20-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Ameri-canna
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3991 times
    There seems to be some commonality among the methods of selection so far, but those points of coincidence are hard to massage into words. Ultimately, though, it appears that at some point, a propagator just has to trust Mendel's laws and the nature of genetics. In other words, once the propagator IDs the desirable traits he wants to reproduce from the male, the propagator has got to chase them - very likely in clusters - through offspring. And the time-consuming part of the genetic evolution of cannabis becomes apparent.... It seems that in the first pollination of any given female, at least, there is a degree of uncertainty and mystery as to what traits from the selected male will manifest and as to how frequently those traits will appear.

Status
    Country
    Ireland
    Liked
    626 times
    There is only onE sure way to know if a males a keeper. But otw I look for the one I hoped was a female too. That nice structure, smell, ease of growth, how fast it grows, how well it matches up to a female n other males. How much pollen it drops, how big the clusters get. If visible trichs r on it. I've heard Neville reverses his males to female n checks. I've read that mono chromatic males are special from dj short. I like to stress test males by starving, or neglecting, topping, Lst. But be sure to not do it to the original which btw clone it. That's how u see how a production strain will truely be not a seed grown. Most folks grow from cuts. N those vary sometimes but ESP they do from seed. Take notes journal observations and then decide. I picked a SPg dad for my first release cuz it was so large n smelly n dropped lotsa pollen n had great structure. It's very bushy n as an f4 will pass on traits in most crosses well. But I overlooked the kish n that would have made a better dad I feel. But I'm happy w the SPg and it was one of the nicest in the last few hundred seeds I've seen.

usually at your moms but if not jacksbeanstock
    Status
    Country
    Jamaica
    Liked
    1414 times
    good point....bottom line....ya cant pic the best males unless you are talented like me......Choosing the right males an art n luck n obviously from all the mediocre bud out there most breeers can not pic a good male to save their ass....

peace

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast