Advertise   Support WW    Contact   
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Breeder
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    1541 times
    Moio, I honorably hand you a cookie for being so awesome.

usually at your moms but if not jacksbeanstock
    Status
    Country
    Jamaica
    Liked
    1414 times
    thank you bro....oh yah n i love Stanley Kubrick....Alex was one my favorite characters growing up....so when I come up with a brain melting sativa makes ya hide under your bed n chew your underwears three hours n name it Ultra Violence dont be mad at me ok.....

peacer
    Last edited by moio; 10-12-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Status
    Liked
    654 times
    moio - let me know when you got that Sat Lady swinging her hips brother cause I'll take some of them off your hands bro, for sure. JD

Edit - I used to have one of those scary crazy weeds bro and she was a treat only lady of the night that girl, but man I liked that creamy lady, she was fine o fine. A real greasy grassy girl of goodness was she.
    Last edited by JadeDragon; 01-29-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Its round on the ends and high in the middle
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    111 times
    Personally - I do quite a few things when it comes to selecting males. Of course some of the more obvious and well known tactics are used - paying heavy attention to growth structure in veg, vigor, comparing traits to females of the same pollen donor to the father, knowing as much as possible about both strains in the use of hybrids for fathers (usually like to have grown out the parents before making any assumptions, but also applying any knowledge from previous grows or strains with similar backgrounds), structure, smell in veg (especially by rubbing the meristem near the top growth - you can get a good idea of it's smells before flowering even starts) resin production in veg especially (if any at all), size of pollen clusters, usually look for hollow stems if possible, as well as the amount of resin produced in flower, but most of all - the only true test - is to put it to the test.

Usually what I'll do is select 2 males out of the pool based on normal traits that you'd expect (as listed above) but what I do is I collect pollen from the males - take at least two strains of genetically different make-ups, and taking a few clones of each, I then pollinate each clone separately in another room, using a brush, using only one male's pollen per clone usually cover the branches I pollenate (minimum of 5 branches usually), then for the first day I use a clear plastic bag to make sure pollen doesn't escape and interfere with other test subjects, then I watch A)The Growth patterns that happen after a well known female (at least I know her, lol - meaning at least 1 to 2 runs, usually more though) and then B) I usually take 10 seeds or so from each mother and the designated fathers are kept as clones of course - the best results are kept and the father is then considered a "good male" if the finished product from that father has shown traits that I was looking to pass on, or was recessive in the case that I want more of the mother to pass through. Then the good male is kept as a clone till breeding, and the seeds as well as the male of the less desirable cross is thrown out. But their are specifics like - not liking to have more than a total of 3-4 phenotypes in the F1 generation, 3 is best IMO, but, also making sure that no hermaphrodites or anything like that are showing up and that the plants are able to handle stress without throwing hermie's is another big thing. If neither of the strains pollinated show almost exactly what I'm looking or, it's time to look for another new male.. But that's me.

I think personally this is the best way to find out if you're selecting a good male - now this same idea could be applied to more than 2 dads, which personally I like to start with at least 20 or so males and then based on traits that are the most desirable, bring it down to 2 - but basically I just try to make sure that a big thing is - only one STRAIN's male pollen are being used in that room, that way no pollen from a totally different set of genetics interferes, and all females with dad-A are kept on one side of the room, and dad-B's girls are on the other - to make sure they dont touch and share pollen.

So far, this has worked quite well for me personally, but it is a much longer process and can take up to 6 months to a year to find one amazing male. IMO, it's about the only way to truly know how well your male will stand up once it's pollinating a room full of females. At that point things are a little more predictable, although not always, but this is where further testing should be done, and quite frankly this is what confuses me about so many hybrids being released so quickly with new varieties as males. Seems like you'd have to test it all, but some people do swear by characteristics and traits in growth and hopefully that works well for them. Personally I just think this is the only way to REALLY know what you are working with.

Great ideas and info from everyone else though, seriously. But I really don't believe we can do it all by eyeballing it, lol, we're not weighing bags of schwag here, we're trying to breed! lol

Hope that helps someone out there, although I think most of us know these things, but this is MY method that I use, and so far my C99 is up to an F5 and doing very well, and my White Fire X Emperor is now an F3 and after doing some tests, looks like he'll be ready to impregnate some ladies here in the near future

-Life
    Last edited by LifeGenetics; 02-01-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Site Supporter

Status
    Liked
    434 times
    Male selection?

Well, it's always nice to have a healthy, nice smelling, quick male with potent genetics.

But how do you acheive that?

Well, you can do what Subcool (TGA) does. Which is what Vic High did as well as the Brothers Grimm.

Keep pollinating with different males, until you find one, that is what Sub' refered to as a "Sugar Male"

It's a superior male that hybridizes well with other females/strains.

Breeder
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    1541 times
    Sub should put that into practice.

Site Supporter

Status
    Liked
    434 times
    As far as I know Subcool, does do that. Or at least that's what he says he does.

I can't really say for sure about his breeding, as I'm not there to see what he is doing for sure.

My associate Bill Wonder, does some moding for subcool on his youtube channel. And we also do have some TGA strains going at the moment to see what they do. But that's the extent of me knowing subcool, I did know vic high and the brothers grimm though.

Soul traded me his 4th back cross unreleased Cinderella 99.25 for some of my Wonderbud.

And that's what created the Thunderstruck clone, the hybrdization of the Cindy 99.25 and Wonderbud. Actually the name "legendary" should prolly come before the Wonderbud name

Breeder
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    1541 times
    Totally.

Soul and Sly were big advocates of cubing, which Chimera has written extensively about as well, however Chimera's views were contrary to Sly and Souls. However I must say, all the old Grimm strains I've had have been Boss. They're legends.

Sub has others breed for him (IE Suny Cheba, Dioxide/TGA Canada). Not sure if he's started to learn how to breed yet himself or not. more power to em if he did.

From what I remember Vic was a younger dude at the time. He made some classic stuff.

Site Supporter

Status
    Liked
    434 times
    Yeah I heard Subcool mention that other people were making seeds for him also.

I figured that must be the deal though, if you watch his weed nerd videos. As he doesn't have an extensive amount of space where he has his plants. And he has a number of strains now.

Of course Vic High didn't have a lot of space either, it might have been the same for the Bros. as well. Far as I know Soul was living in an apartment somewhere in Vegas. Dankmaster same deal, in an apt. had to watch every move he made.

This grow were doing of TGA, should be rather interesting. As subcool has grimm genetics in his breeding lines, they tend to be dominant, from what I'm seeing.

Actually, they are in flowering right now, and they look very similar to the Thunderstruck clone. Of course what they end up being in comparison, could well be another story, we'll have to see.

Is it 420 Yet?
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3984 times
    I grew subs Jacks Cleaner 2 and Jack The Ripper when they were first released and got a great keeper from each pack which I lost . A few years ago I bought both of those as well as the Flav and Querkle and I got no keepers, a nice blueish Querkle with a blue/purple taste and a good buzz just not a great buzz. I was disappointed with the later seeds, my .02$.

I made some seeds with a Flo female years ago and when I grew a few 1 plant reeked when it was 2" tall and when it was 4" was amazing. I was growing these plants indoors in the winter so when I found out it was a male I killed it and immediately regretted it. Pick the best male you've got

mal

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast