Terms | WW Apps Advertise   Support WW    Contact   

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By hippie420
  • 1 Post By hippie420
  • 1 Post By lindseyj

Thread: How to build a Grow Room on a budget?

Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3165 times
    Weed Buck$
    Blog Entries
    Many of us have heard this question. So I'm going to start by saying when I say "budget" I don't mean a 5 dollar a week allowance or some 60 dollar grow room thrown together with tinfoil and a 2 lamp shop light. So with that in mind I will show you how to build a functional and successful grow room on a realistic budget of 600 dollars.

Space:
    So where do you want to build your grow room?
    For this it's going to be a closet.
    For safety purposes we're going to say in your bedroom away from prying eyes of guests.
    For all intensive purposes we're going to say your closet space is 5'Wx5'Dx7'T

Materials:
    HTG Supply - Digital Greenhouse Ultimate 400 watt HPS & MH Grow Light with light hanger option and cooltube 6'' reflector option
    HTG Supply - 100 feet by 5 feet roll of Black & White Poly - 6 mil
    HTG Supply - 16 Inch Wall Mount Oscillating Fan
    HTG Supply - 4" Inline Duct Fan
    HTG Supply - Blower / Fan Speed Control
    HTG Supply - GrowBright 4" Inline Fan & Carbon Filter Combo
    8 Outlet Surge Protector w/ Built In Timer
    Steel Wire High-Low Reflector Hangers
    HTG Supply - GrowBright Indoor - Outdoor Thermometer with Hygrometer
    HTG Supply - Single 4 Inch Cooling Flange 2 of em
    HTG Supply - Tarp Zip Up
    Total: $571.59 before S&H
    You're also gonna need a couple of 4'x'4 sheets of plywood, couple of 2x4's, some large eye hooks with screw ends, large screw hooks, and some paracord. Also about an 8' length of flexible ducting, extension cord, and 2x 6'' to 4'' ducting reducers
    Bringing us out slightly over budget.

***Note*** I am assuming that if you're looking to make a DIY grow room you have tools and nails and screws on hand.

Plan:
    Ok so you've ordered all your materials and got everything together and are ready to start on your grow room.

First step is going to be to clean out the closet and wash it down with a bleach and water solution.

Once that is done we're ready to start building.
    First thing we'll do is build your control panel, it's really simple you're going take 1 of your sheets of plywood and cut a 2'x2' section, take 1 of your 2x4's and cut 2x 2' lengths and 2x 1'4'' lengths this will be the base of the control panel each identical length with be parallel to each other on the back of the plywood then screw the plywood section to the lengths of 2x4.

On your control panel will be your timer, fan speed controller and ballast which you will use small screws in the plywood to hold them in place, you'll have to check the screw patterns on the back of each device to place the screws on the panel correctly. Also use one you those large hook screws off one side you'll use this to keep your excess wires tidy, Nothing worse than tearing your 300 dollar grow light from the ceiling cause you tripped on the wire. Make sure that all devices are firmly attached to your newly created panel as well.

Now comes what I feel is the most difficult part cause it's going to take a lot of thought to get it right, and thats lining your space in black and white poly, so just take your time and get it right rather than being hasty and half-assing it.

Start by doing the floor first, what you do is line it across the floor going one way cover the entire bottom surface and reaching up the wall about 1 foot the the same thing the other way you can attach it to the wall with a staple gun or screws or nails whatever your comfortable with just make sure it's securely in place.

Now line each wall ceiling to floor again make sure its secure to the wall.
    then do the ceiling the same way you did the floor.
    Now when you look into the closet it should be looking more and more like a grow room.

Next is the other tricky part, making the door to closet turned grow tent.
    What you going to do is cut a piece of poly that cover the entire door way and also excess poly on each side and the top and bottom, then take you tarp zipper attach to this piece of poly going the long way and so that it is centered this way it should be able to zip and unzip roughly the entire height of the door way then attach it to the walls and ceiling by the excess poly inside the closet when installation is complete the outside of the man made door should be inside the door frame NOT outside. By the way once the zipper is attached to the ploy you have cut a line where the zipper is to make the actual opening should be in the the instructions to the zipper.

From here on it's pretty basic.
    Using your light hangers, eye hooks, and paracord hang your light from the center of the ceiling so the light is evenly dispersed also make sure the open ends of the reflector and facing the doorway and the wall opposite as this will be essential to ducting and cooling your light.

Now we're gonna get our ventilation in place.
    First thing were gonna do is take and cut 2x 1'x1' sections of ply would and using a 4'' hole saw and cut 1 4'' hole in the center of each cut section of plywood. Then take and cut 2x 2' lengths of 2x4. With one of the 2x4 lengths take one of your section of plywood with the hole in it and screw or nail it to the top 2'' portion of the the 2x4 so that the plywood edges attached are flush with the edges of the 2x4. Now take the place it so the edge with the plywood is against the floor at the door so that the plywood is pressed between the door frame and the 2x4 with the hole against the poly door, then nail or screw it to the wall. Now with that in place cut a hole in your poly door where the hole in the plywood is, then take one of your flanges and place it so the flat side out the outside of the poly door and the end to attach you fan to is inside the grow room then screw it snuggly in place with the provided hardware.
    Now take the other 2x4 length you cut and the other section of plywood with the the 4'' hole in it and the same time only this time put the plywood so its in the center of the the 2x4 rather than the top then place it on the same side as the other vent and at the top of the door and with the hole against the poly door and attach it to the wall add you other flange the same way.

Now it's time to add all our fans.
    The smaller fan will go on the bottom and is to be set for your intake fan so make sure that when attached it's bringing air in once its all set you can use duct tape to hold it in place the end of the fan will fit inside the flange, also could use a small chuck of 2x4 to prop the fan in place so its not hanging there. Then the large fan attach to the 2x4 at the top so that the fan is taking air out of the tent and its opening is inside the flange at the top again could us duct tape to keep it attached to the flange. Now take you carbon filter and place it at the the same corner as the ventilation fan but on the wall opposite the door way, then take you flexible ducting and cut it in half so you now have 2x 4' lengths. Next we attach or 2 6'' to 4'' reducers to each side of the reflector make its snug use duct tape to get a good seal, then take one 4' length of ducting and attach it to the fan and reducer facing the door way with duct clamps and duct tape now do the same thing other other side of the reflector thing time attaching the carbon filter to the reflector with the other 4' length of ducting there should be slack in the ducting on each end to allow you to raise and lower your light. Now on the wall opposite the door way at roughly 4 feet up in the center of the wall secure you wall mount fan.
    Then on the same side as the ventilation fan more toward the door nail or screw you control panel about 4' up on the wall.

Now just plug everything in accordingly, by the way the large fan venting you light gets plugged in the fan speed controller, tidy your wires, place you hydro-thermometer on a stool or raise surface drop you light down so that its 1' away from the meter and get your room dialed in so once you go to grow all you need is container, medium, genetics, and nutes.

And there you have it a very professional looking grow room on 600-650 dollars that you could easily grow 4-6 full size plants in.

And always remember measure twice cut once and safety first.

Hope people enjoy this.
    Last edited by hippie420; 03-29-2011 at 06:38 AM.
    unmeg and smokey like this.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." Hunter S. Thompson
    Overgrow Original | Sp3cialSt3v3420 | 2001 - 2006 | Overgrow The World
    TSD OG 2011-2013 | Hippie420 | Former Forums Manager

Village Idiot
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    1988 times
    Weed Buck$
    Pin It!
    Good to see ya make the transition looking forward to ur posts.
    WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK!!!!! _Step Brothers

Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    3165 times
    Weed Buck$
    Blog Entries
    so am I Unmeg man I'm stoked to put all I learned to good use to help other over the next year.

Also Thank You to WW Mod's/Admin for feeling this worthy of a sticky, my first ever so I'm stoked on that
    unmeg likes this.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." Hunter S. Thompson
    Overgrow Original | Sp3cialSt3v3420 | 2001 - 2006 | Overgrow The World
    TSD OG 2011-2013 | Hippie420 | Former Forums Manager

Status
    Liked
    17 times
    Weed Buck$
    With medical and recreational legalization is happening in certain states, many first time growers are coming to the forefront. If you want to grow indoors, you need to ensure that the space is made completely light-proof. Your room will surely need a nice system that pulls out hot, stale air and replenishes the garden with cool, fresh air.
    unmeg likes this.

Village Idiot
    Status
    Country
    United States
    Liked
    1988 times
    Weed Buck$
    Pin It!
    I love growing in hot rooms rather than a cool humid room. Depending on your strain, mine were all Indica dominant and of the hindu kush valley region. I had temps up to 100+F with great results you just have to be very diligent on water in the soil. I have seen plants go from drooping mess to upright with vigor in the same day.
    I find it good to keep the type of plant in mind & understand the basics so to not make things to complicated. Light poisoning is a problem so keep it in mind at the same time keep in mind the moon. Look outside at night then ask yourself how dark is it? I am with Lindseyj and prefer a light tight room but sometimes that raises the temp in your room. The market has come so far in such a short time I almost pee myself whenever I walk into Discount Hydroponics here locally. Just like when I was 9 at Toys R Us not knowing where to go first.
    its good to see folks posting helping to bring the good vibe and interaction to the site.
    WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK!!!!! _Step Brothers

Status
    Liked
    17 times
    Weed Buck$
    Nice info! Even if you’re an experienced outdoor gardening, building your first indoor grow room can be tricky if you don’t understand the whys as well as the whats of the equipment you need to use. This guide will definitely help those who are starting their growing room withon budget.